Jamie asked in HealthOptical · 1 year ago

Reasons for 20 year old to have retina issues?

I had to see a retina specialist the other day, and although I have to get further tests done, I'm really nervous about the results of my first visit. I'm a 20 year old female. My retinas are very very thin, I have a central visual field defect, RPE (retinal pigment epithelial) changes, and diffuse macular atrophy. I have to get tests done that include an ERG, a fluorescein angiogram, and an autofluorescence done. My doctor mentioned cone rod degeneration. How worried should I really be? What does this sound like to you? I feel like I'm being dramatic, being so afraid of the results, but this doesn't sound good either. What are the possibilities I should be considering? Thanks!

• 1 year ago

Many eye issues are caused by high blood pressure. Have it checked!

• Bernd
    1 year ago

Premature birth is one cause of retina problems in some. Is that an issue for you? Your doctor is the best advisor. Good luck.