Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 5 months ago

Employers social media policy. Is it normal for employers to check your social media after being hired ?

I just started a new job. I joined a group on Facebook that gives advice on the type of job that I do and we can ask questions to learn more about it. The job I do is a medical coder. . Today my boss came to me and said hey I just want you to be aware of the company social media policy, then she said someone mentioned to her that I was on a social media group and she mentioned the name of the group . But I have never gotten on this site during work hours are on company equipment it has always been when I am not working and on my own home computer. I told her yes I am on that group and she told me that the company that we currently work for is on that group so she sent me the social media work policy. I looked at the policy and the only thing that it mentions is we can’t say the name of the company that we work for, we cannot say anything bad about the company, give out company secrets ,. I did not do any of that, the only thing that I put on the Facebook group was I was asking if it would be wise for me to take a certification test for my current position that I’m doing on my new job and that I was excited to start my new position. Now I feel like being on this Facebook group is a trap there are about 6,000 members on the Facebook group. Should I just not post anything in that group anymore even though I did not do anything bad? Also is this normal for employers to check your social media site even when you’re not using their equipment Or doing it doing work hours ?

They saw you were on there and they wanted to make sure you knew the social media policy. If you had already violated it, the discussion would have been very different.

Your company's social media policy is not unreasonable. Checking a new or prospective employee's social media 'footprint' is becoming common now and lots of companies have employees whose primary jobs are to monitor and post information to all the social media platforms. Companies are springing up that do nothing but scan for current info on businesses as a function of customer service.

Social media also makes it easier for keyboard cowboys to shoot their mouths off, sometimes half-****** or completely exaggerated, instead of dealing with their problem in person. Instead of complaining to the waitress about bad service, they tell the world stretched lies to make themselves seem like victims. Your company would rather have you come to them to solve a work related problem than spread a lot of leading questions on the web.

• Eva

As she said, the company is a member of that group, so they would see anything that anyone posts, including you. Most companies monitor social media for any mention of anything about the company. They noticed you joined the group, so they wanted to make sure you were aware of the company policy about what you can and can't post. As long as you adhere to the rules there shouldn't be any problem, but be aware that posting too many questions or commenting too often could look bad.

i would just be careful what you post on there

Depends on the job. They should. Don't need embarrassment.

Many do. It's a way of protecting themselves in the event there is some questionable behavior of comments that they might be associated with and other things.

Yes! it is and even if they dont its always good to keep you social media and online foot print CLEAN because even though things may seem safe you never know what people are up to and how clever they are you may (and this is an extreme example) bump into someone one day and they hack your social media the next of course very unlikely but they principle is there you dont want the wrong people mad at you.

It is the new trend now, but usually before hiring