Liv asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 5 months ago

First Time Going To London, Any Advise Travel and Money wise?

I’m going to London in late August. I’m also going to the Reading Leeds festival. I’ve never gone and I just need some advise before going.

• F

First of all, you do realise Reading and Leeds are separate places 200miles apart?

• Toruko

Point. #1 UK sporting rule: One cannot be too overt.

What do you actually need help with?

Getting around? Get yourself an Oyster Card (or if you have a contactless payment card from your bank, use that) - and download CityMapper (app) to get around

• RR

Late August the weather might be variable. It could be very warm or it could be cool. Bring layers and a waterproof, especially if you are going to festivals. You can buy a cheap tent if you are staying at them.

I don't know the venue for Leeds but Reading's festival is by the River Thames. Very nice!

You won't need much cash if you bring a credit card (a good idea to let your provider know you will be using it in UK.)

London can be expensive but there are plenty of free attractions. The big museums are all free. There are cheap eats at Wetherspoons pubs and there are plenty of fast food outlets.

It's easy to get around London using public transport (rail, underground, bus) Buy a visitor Oyster Card.

You can easily travel to Reading and Leeds by train. It can be expensive unless you are able to book in advance.

• RR

I am assuming he was talking about two festivals.

Credit cards are widely accepted in the U.K. so do not travel with too much cash. London has an excellent transport system made up of the Underground (Subway), buses and suburban rail. Don't pay the expensive cash fares. Purchase an Oyster Card or Visitor Oyster Card for travel within London tfl.gov.uk

The roads to Reading and Leeds will be terribly congested. Reading is just 30 minutes by frequent fast train from Paddington Station. Leeds is less than 2 hours from London Kings Cross Station. For the journey to Leeds book as far ahead as possible for specifically timed trains otherwise it will be very expensive. nationalrail.co.uk

From where are you going? The answer will be very different if you're from Tokyo or San Francisco or Luton.

The British Museum kicks butt; go in the morning and expect to spend most of the day there. Canterbury & Dover are nice day-trips by bus; you could even do both in one day.

Leeds is near the Yorkshire Dales, which have good hiking.

If you're flying into Heathrow, the cheapest way into London is to take the Tube from the airport's basement.

There are a half-dozen HI hostels in town that are cheaper than most hotels. Leeds likely has one too. HI hostels are less packed than their independent counterparts.

The Victoria bus station is a few blocks south of the Victoria train station.

Advise about what? I've never been to the festival, but I have been to London. Temperatures even in August can be variable- take some light layers. It might be cool and rainy some days and beautiful and warm on other days. There's plenty to do in London- you can try sites like tripadvisor.com for suggestion. It's an expensive city- but if you want to save money on food, try going to the grocery stores, they have lots of prepared items that you can buy and eat in a park or in your hotel.