US Driver s License as ID in Europe?

I will be traveling to Europe next summer with my friends, all of us will be 18, and was wondering about using our US driver s license as IDs for getting into bars and such. I feel like it would be better to leave our passports locked up at our hotel rather than carry it around. So would my drivers license and a photocopy of my passport be sufficient for non-governmental identification?

i very much doubt if anybody will ask for your ID in a bar ..18 is legal ..so no problem ..when booking into motel etc at least one of you will need a current credit card ..

Your driver's license is not a valid ID in Europe, you need to use your passport. In some countries you are required to carry your passport on your person.

• MS

It should be okay, but individual establishments are not required to accept a foreign driver's license as ID. So be prepared to possibly be turned down.

You can use a Drivers License as Age ID for the bar.

Be aware having a drink is legal. Being drunk is not.

It is not recommended to wander around anywhere staggering drunk.

Police DO NOT CARE your citizenship. An obnoxious drunk is an obnoxious drunk and you can be arrested.

. I feel like it would be better to leave our passports locked up at our hotel rather than carry it around. VERY TRUE

DO NOT stuff all your cash in the same pocket. NO NEED to pull out the huge wallet to buy a soda.

Suggest you investigate an International Students Card. Not expensive and gives you many discounts in many places.

Photocopy of my passport is photo COPY. Not much use for official purposes. Keep it separate just in case the original gets lost.

• Sam5 months agoReport

Ok, thanks so much. I just wasn't sure a US Driver's license would be acceptable in Europe. Thanks for the tips

• James

a driver license is OK, photocopies are not

That should be acceptable, if they even proof you at all.