Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 12 months ago

I feel like most Computer Science majors wont be able to get high paying jobs, because the field is competitive. Am I right or wrong?

I applied to an entry level Software Engineering engineering position one time and it said 1 out of 83 applicants got the position. Also, I talk to 8 people who graduated with me in the same major. Only one of them has a high paying job and she says she kinda of wants to quit because it's too stressful.

"because the field is competitive. Am I right or wrong?"

Partly right but partly wrong.

Price depends on rarity, quality and demand.

If there is a glut (over abundance) of qualified applicants, then it's an employer's market and the price goes down.

If there is a dearth (too few), then it's an employee's market and the employer's will pay more.

And the level of training/knowledge/expertise required is also a factor.

A PhD (Piled higher and Deeper) isn't going to make any more flipping burgers than a HS drop out. But he can get a ob in his field of study while the HS dropout is only gonna get jobs flipping burgers and pumping gas.

Supply and Demand definitely affect what you are paid. The same thing happened in the paralegal field.

You'll do better than in fast food which is likely where you will end up.

EVERY field is competitive these days, unless maybe you are in neuralogical research on primate autism. Computers Science is very popular and there are thousands of graduates each year. So, in order to get a high paying job you have to distinguish yourself from all those others in some way.

Why do you feel that way? Do you think you would have a better chance off a high paying job by majoring in "liberal arts" ?

• Kyle

have tried getting a job in sales? you can be a sales engineer, or work in pre sales and help deals in related to computer science or software engineering. it might be a little easier to find a job that way than work directly in the field.

It's for sure that there are many people seeking software engineering jobs. Not just college and university graduates, but also from training institutes. And add to that, the number of people in mathematics, electrical engineering, physics, business/commerce and even clerical "promotions"

Computing is almost required for just about everything if you want a career in an area.

Having been at the top levels for many years (before retiring), I know how stressful it can be. Especially if one is at the bleeding edge of the technology (most really good people burn out (or brown out at least) within three years, although some go for 20 years and longer before they lose their edge.

Towards the end of my time, it was getting hard to get new work (at one time I was told that I couldn't possibly use C++ or Visual Basic, because they had not been taught when I was at university -- despite using both for more than 10 years).

But, it';s for sure that there is a long line of people going for IT jobs -- when hiring, I often had over 100 applicants for the position, and that was 30 years ago. The thing is, most of the 100 (or 83 in your case) were useless, with no real skills or knowledge worth hiring -- nice people, yes, and desperate for the work, but not adequate for the environment I was in -- of the 100, only about six were really qualified for the job.

If you are any good, it might take you a while to find a reasonable job, but stick with it. And make sure there's a real WOW! factor in your CV, one that can stop the reader enough to look seriously at you as a candidate.

rny brothers are into cornputers and they rnake good rnoney