Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 5 months ago

How do I get started?

I want to write (and draw) a comic book, but how do I get started? Am I supposed to re-draw the characters each time, or what? (I would do it, but is there’s an easier way?) And, how do authors/illustrators get their drawings so damn accurate each time?? I’ll do anything. Open to all suggestions. Also, any tips?

I want to write (and draw) a comic book, but how do I get started? Start with the story, then plan the panels accordingly.

Am I supposed to re-draw the characters each time, or what? Yes, you re-draw the characters each time.

And, how do authors/illustrators get their drawings so damn accurate each time?? They've had lots and lots of practise. My advice is to not start drawing your comic until you've practised enough to consistently draw your characters the right way every time and from every angle. This should save you a lot of time in the end.

There are a lot of tutorials online on how to plan and draw a comic book, so I suggest you read/watch some of these. Again, the more prepared you are before you start, the more time you'll probably save in the end.

Yes, you make each drawing separately. The characters look the same because you practice doing them.

The online tutorials are worth checking, so start googling things like ---

panel layout for comic books

how to draw a comic book

pacing in comic books

making a comic book

etc.

• Tim D

If you use the same drawing each time and just change the speech bubble then the reader is going to get bored very soon. The only time that really works is if the dialogue is gripping (and even then using zoom and pan framing of the base drawing is an improvement).

Script then storyboard.

Draw a map of the environment – whether it is a room, a house or a mountain, so you can work out what the background is doing.

Draw character sheets of each main character, include facial expressions. Use them to assemble your drawings.

• John

Story first, start to finish. Then story board, which is a visual representation of each scene - maybe a couple of hundred, yes. Yes, you draw them. Because they are artists and drawing accurately (when called for) is what they do. After those preliminaries then you flesh it all out.