Wifi Router cost problem between roomates??

So I bought a wifi router that was around $100 dollars at the beginning of last August for my roommates and I to share. They INSISTED to pay me $35 to make it even, so I took it...obviously. Anyways, it’s now around the time to move out and we are all arguing on who gets to keep the router. I told them that I should keep it because A.) I went and bout it myself B.) they were just paying me to “rent” it I suppose C.) we didn’t sign any sort of agreement or anything D.) I have had to pay overages on my rent the whole year (including this summer when I haven’t even been there) because of them. E.) They offered to pay me the $35. Must I include that they are living together next semester, and I’m living with a new person. I need everyone’s opinions here because I am so frustrated.

It's an investment with no return. Whomever retains the router must refund $70 to the other two investors to buy them out.

• ron h

You give them $35 to split and you buy YOU a new router. Who paid the ISP for internet service all those months?

huh. whuts that meen

Source(s): Hello. I am a Professional Internet Idiot.
  • Roddy

The router must be considered completely separately from any rent, etc for the property itself.

By paying you a third opt the original cost each, all of you became joint and equal owners of the router.

If all 3 of you are moving together to another property then just take the router with you. If only one of you is moving out then it would be sensible for the other two to buy him out by paying him his original share between them.

Since it would be best these days to buy a new router every 5 years or so to take advantage of extra security, it would be best for them to buy the current router from you for your share and for you to get another in the new location.

• Adrian

If everyone paid about 1/3 of the cost, then everyone owes 1/3 of it. Whoever keeps it should pay out what others put into it.

So, if you leave, and two others keep the router, they pay you off the $35 and it is theirs to do as they wish. If they move out, each should get their $35 share from you and you keep the router.

Ownership of the router has nothing to do with rent or any other expenses, including the Internet service. The router is an object you all bought together and own together. It is not rent either, as that would be a monthly or yearly fee they pay towards it. A flat fee payment is a "cost sharing" agreement", all 3 of you own it.

Otherwise, cut the router into 3 pieces and everyone gets 1/3 of it....

Come on friend get real here if they paid $35 toward the router and they're arguing about it hand them their $35 and tell them to get the F out of your house! Tell them if they want to keep the router that they have to buy out your percentage of it. If you got the $35 from the other two roommates they have a share in it if you want to keep it for yourself you have to give them back their percentage that they paid. What's $35 anyway! Me I'd soak both of my roommates down from my 1 pound wildfire pepper spray and I would spray their *** quite liberally with the stuff and then I would shove the money up there *** and throw them coughing and puking out the door.

• Lv 7

you ALL own it, unless you pay them back.

you agreed to that when you accepted their money.

otherwise it stays in the room.

• P

The overage charges are a separate issue that you need to sort out the value they can agree on and see if it makes sense to credit that toward the router.

Otherwise all else equal, seeing as they paid $70 ( I am assuming they paid you $35 EACH) in total toward the cost of the router it's probably better off to have them buy you out for $35 and then get a new one yourself in the future.

Regardless if you really plan on keeping something for yourself and someone gives you money toward it you can't just assume it's solely yours anymore. They are right about the router. The overage charges are another issue you may be in the right on, but you need to put it out there as completely separate issues in an argument with them before you can just assume they accept the router as a resolution to that.

• Rayal

Take your router with you when you leave and forget about them. If they want to pay full price for the router sell it to them otherwise just go.