If I fill out a W9 and don’t end up working for a company will that negatively affect me?

I filled out a W9 for DoorDash but I have decided not to be a Dasher. Will filling out this tax form affect me in any way in the future?

• Judy

no..............................................................................

No, nothing at all happens.

"Will filling out this tax form affect me in any way in the future?"

Only if the company violates federal law requiring them to secure your information.

A W9 is only a "Request for Taxpayer ID Number" so they can file, if needed, the 1099 for at the end of the year.

The 1099 (specifically the 1099-MISC) is a form filed by the Payer with the IRS stating how much money (non-employee compensation, rent, etc) paid to the Payee.

This ensure the IRS knows how much you were paid for these "non-employee" (aka "contractor") jobs.

No. The form doesn't go anywhere. It is not filled with the government. It is kept by the company so that if they pay you, then they have the information to fill out a 1099 tax form that would say how much they paid you.

A W-9 only provides information to the employer/potential employer. No one else will even know about it.

It won't affect you unless somebody steals your w9 and uses your social security number and information to report their income

Means nothing...

A W-9 stays with the employer and never goes to the IRS.

No. All you did was give them your taxpayer ID number so they can report to the IRS what they pay you. If they pay you zero, there will be nothing reported to the IRS.

no, of course not