Is there anyway to lock a bedroom door from the outside without drilling a lock?

Living in a student house next year with a few others, the doors do not have locks on them and we are not allowed to fit our own locks. Anyone have any suggestions for ways to lock my door when I am out? Thanks.

• C

My spidey-sense thinks that you may be living in the UK, so I wanted to give my tuppence worth about why the rule might be in place as annoying as it is. For council tax purposes you are one household if you share toilet and cooking facilities (though if you're all undergrad students you'll be exempt), HOWEVER for TV licence purposes the moment there's a lock on a bedroom door that room becomes liable for a separate TV licence even if you have shared spaces and share a front door. No bedroom locks = one TV licence. I suspect that the lock rule is to avoid agro around this as it can get very ugly very quickly..

You need not even make any holes or alterations to a door in order to lock it.

Simply go and buy a keyed door knob. Take the old door knob assembly off and put it in a zip lock bag, with all of it's hardware, to store in your closet. This way, you have it to put back when you leave. The keyed door knob can be locked every time you leave the room and stay locked until you come back. I think you are wise to be thinking ahead. You never know who will enter your room when you are not there and who knows what kind of characters your room mates will have access to the house when you are not there. You may also consider a place in your room for food storage of pantry items which are not perishable. Food often disappears when you have room mates, so think ahead and have storage for the things you may not necessarily want to disappear and not have it when you need it.

When you are out, why do you care? The no lock policy is for Fire fighters to access where the fire is burning (and it may be your room so no door locks.) Stop being paranoid.

When you are inside you can lean a chair against the doorknob and that is quite effective. Also a floor wedge works.

I think I would just make sure there is somewhere secure/lockable and concealed in the room for valuables and hope you can trust your fellow students to keep out when you are not there. I never had anything worth stealing when I was a student, but I appreciate times have changed.

Not fitting locks may be something to do with rules about Houses in Multiple Occupation, so you need to be clear about the situation - as far as I know the restriction is that you need to be able to open a bedroom from inside without a key in an emergency, not that you can't have a lock per se. I certainly had them in some places where I didn't know the other people.

Depends upon what you mean by "not allowed to fit a lock". You mean permanently attached? You mean anything that could function as a lock? You mean anything that shows from the outside of the door? In theory, you could engineer a solution that jams the door shut from the inside (without being permanently attached or visible from the outside) and use a remote-control of some sort to activate it or to release it while you're outside. I can't immediately put my finger on anything off-the-shelf, but there may well be such things available.

ETA: Apparently there are a couple of TD trolls who can't come up with a better answer of their own, perhaps due to the spreading inability of youngsters to think outside the box.

the doors do not have locks on them and we are not allowed to fit our own locks

That is a COMPLETE answer to your question. You ARE NOT ALLOWED to do what you are asking how to do.

• Nuff Sed

Technically, the question is whether there is "any way to lock the bedroom" without "drilling a lock" (i.e., drilling holes to install a lock), not whether it's going to violate some arbitrary rules.

Lockable door knob cover - prevents door knob from being turned.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Diecast-Gra...

• ?

All this does is stop somebody operating an existing lock eg when taking over an apartment at eviction. This device is only designed to restrict access to the keyhole from the exterior.

Speak to whoever runs the building. If this has been used for student housing in the past, I'm sure you're not the first person to ask the question. They may have a simple alternative that you haven't thought of. It always helps to see their point of view, such as mentioning that it would prevent an unwanted person from damaging the inside of the house.

Change the door handle for one like you get in hotels which has a key to lock the spindle - also gives you a privacy lock on the inside. Change it back when you leave.

If anyone quibbles say your insurers insist on it. (Landlord's insurers don't like locks on internal doors because the doors get expensively smashed in in the event of a burglary)

• drip

If this is a university run housing, he won’t be able to do that.