Can you change your native resolution?

I'm not really good at these things, rather i dont know what to ask on the internet to get the best answer to my problem but, i dont know where this "native resolution" is... is it in my monitor? or my graphics card? either way i want to make my native resolution in 1920x1080 rather than 1360x768, so how do i do that?

I asked this question because my friends said "playing on native resolution gives better performance" or something...?

Yes, changing resolution is easy, so long as your monitor supports it. Just rightclick anywhere on desktop and select properties. The screen attributes will display and one of them are screen resolutions that can be changed. Click the one you want.

• Fulano

The native resolution is just the resolution of the monitor.

I've never seen anything say it hurts the screen having it lower, though Windows seems weirdly against lowering the resolution.

Lowering the resolution in a game means the computer has fewer pixles to process so it might give more frames per second, but I usually turn down the other graphics settings first before messing with the screen resolution.

So for example, my wife's computer has a 4K screen, but it can't come close to running old games at that resolution, I always have to turn it down to 1080p to get a decent framerate.

• keerok

Just resolution. It's in the Display Properties.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/change-screen-r...

• Adrian

Native resolution is what your screen is physically capable of. That is, a 1360x768 native resolution means your screen is actually 1360x768 pixels (color groups). That is all it can display without massaging the display data. You cannot change native resolution without changing the monitor/screen.

You can run at higher resolutions like 1080p, but what happens is some display pixels are dropped because the screen cannot physically display 1080 pixels vertically, only 768. So, 312 pixels have to be dropped and not displayed. It does display on your screen overall, but is usually more blurry due to the dropped pixels.

Pixels is a general term, as color screens usually have 3 pixels per "dot" on the screen to reproduce all the colors. Black and white screens are one pixel per "dot"

With basically all of today's monitors (all LCD or other flatscreen monitors), the pixels of the "native resolution" are the physical pixels of the monitor. So, if you want to change the native resolution, you need to get a new monitor with that resolution.

As for "playing on native resolution gives better performance" - not quite, or rather, that depends on how you measure "performance". Using a higher than the native resolution doesn't gain yo anything, as the monitor simply can't show it. Although, for most games, you can set anti-aliasing so that the GPU calculates 2 (or 4, or more) times the number of pixels for better edge definition and then scales down that image to the monitor's resolution.

Using a lower than the native resolution may be interesting if your GPU struggles with keeping up a reasonable frame rate. Depending on other settings, your monitor will then either scale up the image (loking horrible) or have a black border around the image.