Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 5 months ago

How can I make my drawing better?

cover the face up

The advice I always give people is this:

1.) Practice, practice, practice. It took me years to get to where I am. But don't be discouraged; it will be worthwhile to see how far you've come :)

2.) Come out of your comfort zone. I used to only draw girls. ONLY. But it is because of something I challenged myself to do once that I am now much more confident in my ability to draw boys. And don't be scared that it won't turn out well. Just try your best, and hopefully it will open a new ability in you. And if not, that's fine. Things take time, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work out the way you wanted it to the first time around.

3.) Try out what you see. Ever look at someone else's art and think, "I really like that eye style"? Well, try it! Don't think of it as copying, but as inspiration.

4.) Be confident! I used to draw... looking back... not so great. But back then, I believed my drawing was awesome, and because of this I had the motivation and confidence to keep on drawing.

I hope this advice will help you! Always do your best, and don't listen to haters!

• Learn about shading - what it is, what it is for, how to do it, etc. Then you won't have random spots defining nothing on her face.

• John

Get off the "I don't need anybody's help, I'm self taught" bandwagon and take some lessons. There are many online for free.

• John

I mean, they are the ones who have that kind of bad temper, these days......

its like halfway between a cartoon and a representative drawing. if you want it to be a representative drawing, start by thinking about light and shadow. and avoid using outlines to differentiate between hues, even in black and white you can change hues with your shading instead.

• Tim D

There are various techniques for drawing hair, it is generally more effective not to try drawing every individual hair. I tend to mark out the areas which are highlighted (and the patch of highlight will run across the direction of the hair) and then add a deep- and mid-tone to the overall mass, then add a few strands across them, this will helps give volume and form. You will know that the darker patches will be those where the light does not reach, so the hair behind and around her neck will probably be darkest.

You can add basic shadow to the top lip and under the bottom lip, under the nose and chin.

Eyes always have shading from the lids – the whites are never white.

And remember you can add and subtract with an eraser.

• Will

By not making her look like a meth addict with those darker patches on her face.