Will I damage my router by putting it in a box?

It has these colored lights that annoy me when my room is dark and I'm trying to sleep. So I cut holes for the cords and put it in the box it came in. I can feel it's pretty hot, but it usually felt the same when it wasn't in the box. The length and width are the same as the router, but it's only half as deep.

• Roddy

Yes. The router needs to be in the free air or put into a force ventilated box or cabinet.

You could turn the router around so that the port lights are away from you or simply put some sort of barrier between you and the router so you don't see the lights flashing during the night.

Of course, you could switch it off completely as you don't need the internet at night!

Your moms box. Hahaha

The problem is your router needs AIR to keep its cool! NO don't put it in a box unless you ventilate the box and add a fan to cool the unit! (Tape over the lights, check the firmware in the unit, some allow those lights to be turned off!)

• keerok

Why not just tape the lights with black electrical tape?

Don't put it in a box, get some black electrical tape and cover the lights. When needed, it's easy to pull the tape off to check the lights.

yes..............