Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 5 months ago

Mothers, how long did it take you?

I know everybody's different. I just wondered how long it has taken some of you mothers to get pregnant. I am 28 and I've been trying-trying for 2 months. We do everything right. It frustrates me that these 16, 17 year old girls are getting pregnant effortlessly (when MOST don't even want to get pregnant, but don't try hard enough to avoid it) and it's not as easy for me. Granted, it's only been 2 months and honestly, I am not even due for my period for another 5-6 days, but I guess I am stressing about it. So many people tell me that it'll happen when I'm not even trying, but how do I not try? Should we just go back to the pull-out method and hope for the best or what? His mom suggested I start taking prenatal vitamins.

Also, I should mention that I've had to take Plan B about 3 times in the past with past lovers, so I'm not sure if that screwed up my chances of conceiving, but I hope not.

I'm 28.

I've never, ever been on birth control. I didn't lose my virginity until I was 21 and past boyfriends have always just used condoms and/or the pulling-out method. It's either always seemed to work or I'm infertile lol, but a few insisted I take Plan B.

Before my fiance and I started actively trying, he just always pulled out before he knew he was going to c*m. In May, he came in me for the first time, but I was about to have my period soon so I didn't get pregnant. Now, we actually look at when I ovulate and the window in which I am fertile and we have sex a few times around my ovulation day and on my ovulation day.

Angie, I have both the "My Tracker" app. and the "Flo" app. My friend who is about 20 weeks pregnant now, said she got pregnant while using the Flo app. so I downloaded it and have been using it since a month or so ago. The only issue is that both apps. have a different day of ovulation for me although I log my period at the same time on both apps., but I have been using the Tracker app. longer so it knows my cycle a little better and I think it may be more accurate.

• Jim

The first time my wife and I had unprotected sex she became pregnant. This was our first child. The second one took slightly longer but not much.

About 3 months with my first two ...... my last took almost a year because his count was messed up !!!! Once the count was normal .... 2 months but it is perfectly normal to take 6 months of trying ...... try the pressed , it helps

Under normal circumstances, it shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes.

5 years with both of my children, but I have pcos.

• GB

I got pregnant, one year after we stopped using condoms.

teens are more fertile than 28 yr olds..........we took 7 yrs between first and second kid

How are you tracking ovulation? If you're using an app, counting days, using a calendar, etc, that's not tracking ovulation. That's the first step.

• Ramona

You are stressing your body out by worrying. When people say it will happen when you least expect it, that means you are stress-free from trying and you are just relaxed enjoying having sex. So just have fun and don't worry about it. Don't have him pull out obviously.

I'd also go and get a check-up and share with your doctor that you are trying to get pregnant. Just check to see if everything is like clockwork in your body.

I had my 3 boys young. the first one at 19, the last one at 30. It only took one try so I don't know how old you are but age does play a factor. the older you get the harder it becomes to get pregnant.

Did you just get off birth control 2 months ago? Depending on what you were taking, it can take up to 6 months for the body to adjust to allow for pregnancy. So that is a huge reason why you might not be getting pregnant.

Just be patient.

• LizB

"Stress" has no impact on ability to conceive. That's a myth, you can't fret yourself into infertility. Prolonged physical stress can impact ovulation and cause anovulatory cycles (for example, malnutrition, long-term or chronic illness), but everyday emotional stress does not.

getting pregnant is like your own shadow,

chase it,it will run away from you,

run away from it it chases you.

all the best.

• LizB

This is nonsense. You can't make yourself infertile by wanting a baby. Good grief.

• Jill

I wasn't keeping track of my cycle at the time so don't actually know how long it took to fall pregnant. My partner was the one who asked "shouldn't you have had your period by now?"

Pre-natal vitamins are a good idea because they help prevent birth defects - but they won't help you get pregnant.

2 months really is not a long time so you need to get some perspective about it. The average time it takes most couples to fall pregnant is 4-6 months. When everything is right you still only about 25-30% chance of falling pregnant each cycle. Have as much sex as you want during the 2 weeks in the middle of your cycle, not just when you think you are ovulating. Apps can get it wrong. Good luck.

Update: Plan B does not effect future fertility.