Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

Am I meant to be a vegetarian?

When ever I eat more vegetables and fruits I always feel like my best , I feel more energizeed , more happy and just generally feel good, when ever I eat meat ( esp red meat ) I feel sad and sluggish , I'm 27 year old male and most my life my diets been balanced ( veg , meat and carbs ) I don't really wanna be a vegan simply because I love how cheap and handy EGGS are and I love chicken , but as I'm getting older I'm starting to think " Is my body ment to eat more fruits and vegetables simply because how good they make me feel but I don't think it's safe to eat just veg and fruit is is? I know that you will say balance is key and your right it is but i always feel my worst ( energy and emotion ) after eating meats, eating eggs and fish not so much.... If possible please don't answer with aggressive answers , I know meat can be healthy and being vegan MIGHT be a bad idea ( please don't judge vegans ) due to vitamins in meat , but I feel as though I'm at my best eating more veggies

Not sure why beef makes you feel sluggish, unless you're eating a pound or two at the time. In that case you ate too much.

Our brains need natural fat. So eat your natural fats, whether you opt for vegetables and fruit or meat too. Avocado, macadamia nuts and walnuts are great sources of healthy fats. Cold pressed (unrefined) olive oil is good too. So is unrefined coconut oil

If it makes you feel better, go for it, just make sure to get your iron and vitamin d tested regularly - and maybe start taking a multivitamin everyday to make up for the lost nutrients. Red meat actually can cause inflammation so that's probably where the sluggishness is coming from.

I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist but I'd follow a diet that made me feel good.

no , the human body best operates as an omnivore not a herbivore .

If you feel better eating mostly plant foods, then eat mostly plant foods. That does not mean you can't also choose to eat eggs, cheese, chicken, fish or any other food type that agrees with you. Many people choose not to eat red meat, for an variety of reasons including that it just doesn't agree with them. Diet is not a dichotomous choice: you do not have to be fully vegetarian or fully omnivorous. Eat whatever agrees with you.

• zeno

Stay balanced but limit red meat to once or

Twice a week. I only buy a 6" subway sub

Twice a week with two slices roast beef

And two slices of turkey on wheat and pour

Honey on it. I also put spinach, Tomatoes

And pickles and pepper cheese on it. Plain

Without heating it or baking it. It's simple

And quick to buy and eat.

• Anton

Somewhere between one and two millions years ago some primates figured out FIRE, and learned how to COOK both tough vegetables and meat. They evolved to live on a diet of meat and vegetables.

You are "meant" to be omnivore -- NOT vegetarian.

You are not meant to drive in a car, wear shoes, sunglasses. We can DO what we are not meant to do.

Bottom Line:

"When ever I eat more vegetables and fruits...."

-- You are meant to eat more vegetables. Modern man can easily get meat, and over eat the meat.

You should be eating between 2 ounces and 4 ounces of meat a day. If you scarf down a 16 ounce steak you will have just had a week's worth of meat and, yes, you will be rather sluggish.

• Daisy

IMO, we should all eat what keeps us healthy and happy.

You don't feel good eating meat? Don't eat it. Just be sure you have a source of complete proteins, omega3s, zinc, calcium, vitamin b12...... Cutting animal products out of your diet is not as simple, or healthy, as you might think.

Vegan is a subset of vegetarian. Don't confuse them. If you're vegan, not only can't you eat eggs, meat, dairy, but you can't wear leather (shoes, belts, jackets or wool), go to zoos, ride horses, own pets and on and on. Vegetarians just don't eat meat.

• Flour for Algernon

Actually the Vegan Society doesn't say anything about having pets or rescuing animals. And if it did, I would consider it ridiculous. I wouldn't stop rescuing animals just to conform to someone else's definition of vegan. I'm vegan for the animals, not for someone else's approval.

• y

Is your rib cage built like a chimps or a humans? Are your intestines longer per proportion of your digestive track like herbivorous? Or are they shorter like meat eaters?

• Wendigo

Humans aren't carnivores as you're suggesting, nor are we herbivores which you do have right. We as humans fa;; in the middle or the gray area known as omnivores, which chimpanzees also fall under the same classification.

Eat what's making you feel healthy and don't worry too much about the label. Vegan is healthy when done right. It sounds like you've sort of answered your own question. You feel better eating plant based. That sounds like a good way to go for you.