Are all in one record players really that bad?

Update:

U have one i have no problems with mine, but you always here things online that say all I one record players damage your records. I haven’t found that with mine yet

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Some of the better ones may be beyond the budget:

https://diffuser.fm/laser-turntable/

• 5 months ago

Most all in one products are make-do products. While a very few are provided to meet the demands of people who need a high quality solution that is portable or road worthy, most are studies in making something as cheap as the market will bear. Most are below "entry level" quality, and offer barely tolerable service, and yes, this will also take a toll on your recordings, and offer the worst quality of reproduction, and life expectancy.

• 5 months ago

Yes.They are all that bad. One truism in audio is that the more components you jam onto one chassis, the more design and performance will be compromised. They are built with the cheapest components available to meet a price point that tragically hip audiophile wannabes can afford. Speaker size is the greatest limitation. Other reasons have to do with shared power supplies allowing noise into the signal, poor heat dissipation due to no ventilation, and weight constraints. You haven't been playing records long enough to notice the damage already done.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If you mean the cheap record players available today (e.g. Crosley) then they're really not much more than toys. If a person just wants to “have fun” playing records - watching them go around, laughing at the sound when they're played at the wrong speed, enjoy the novelty of the playing recorded music the old-fashioned way and, maybe, “feel cool”, then they're fine. Have fun and then throw it (and the records) out when you tire of it and move on.

No one who is serious about listening to music and values their records is going to use something like that though - yes, they damage records and the sound quality is terrible.

When records were first popular most people listened to them on record players. It was rare for anyone to have a stereo hifi system with separate deck, amplifier and speakers (few records were available in stereo anyway). Most people had a record player or a radiogram (a big wooden cabinet containing a radio, speaker, record deck and amplifier with everything hidden under a lid). Decent quality record players or radiograms had the same record decks that were later available separately (in the UK usually BSR or Garrard). As music and records became more popular, available sound quality improved and stereo became common, these things went out of fashion and stopped being made. Everyone wanted a

“system” with a separate deck, stereo amplifier, radio tuner (with some stations broadcasting in stereo), a pair of speakers and, later, a cassette deck.

So far as I know, there are no good quality record players being manufactured today.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Yes,

THEY ARE!

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

YES they really are that bad. They come with a cheapo conical stylus that wears your records a little every time you play them and but the sound reproduction of those units is so low-end that you probably can't tell the difference. What it comes down to is whether you're happy with the sound but I wouldn't play any of my records on one. Once you've heard a good turntable with a high quality stylus played through a good amplifier and speakers you'll never go back to using an all-in-one.

• 5 months ago

yes very much because one record

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.