Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 5 months ago

Is chess an expensive sport?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Best answer

It can be if you want to be the best. You have to train hard, eat well, sleep well and keep your mind in top shape.

• 2 months ago

Yes it can be.........

• Joe
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

five bucks at the local hobby store will get you a plastic board and pieces. Paying your opponent his winnings every time you lose can add up though..

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Rarely I guess it can be

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

If you want to play casually, there are countless websites that offer free online chess. If you are more serious and want to play in organized tournaments, it will cost you a bit of money.

Source(s): lichess.org chess.com sparkchess.com chesstempo.com chess24.com chess.org flyordie.com/chess/ play.chessbase.com
  • David
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

First it's not a sport, it's a game. Second, you can play for free.

• 5 months ago

If you want to do it right, it is. First, you need a regulation board, pieces and clock which runs about $50. Then you need a membership to the US Chess Federation if you are going to play in sanctioned tournaments, and since you called chess a sport, you probably do. That is about 30/yr. Then you need training which varies from master to master, and they usually charge by the hour. Finally, you will need a subscription to the Chess Informant which is printed in Serbia which runs over $100/yr. Then there are club fees, entry fees, and then there is travel because tournaments are seldom held regularly in the city where you live. good luck. email me for more information.

• Ben
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

It's not always expensive. For a cheap chess set, one can play this game over and over for free.

• 5 months ago

the equipment costs of a board and a clock are negligible. roll up mats and weighted plastic pieces are actually preferred by tournament players to more expensive more decorative sets. tournaments have entry fees and require you to be a member of a chess federation. chess federations have annual dues. and then there is travel costs to play in non-local tournaments...it could get expensive pretty fast if you are traveling for tournaments regularly.

• 5 months ago

I honestly don't consider chess a sport.

It all depends on how much you want to pay for a set or even feel like you need a chess set. I played for 18 years with out actually owning a chess set. Because it depends on how well a person can keep track of pieces in the mind no board is needed. A good player can think through all moves for themselves and the opponent for five moves. The better the player the more moves in advance they can visualize in their mind. The board only has 64 squares and 32 pieces. So it is more mind then physical training.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.