Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 5 months ago

Can doctors put me to sleep or sedate me for a minor procedure?

I have a pretty infected abscess or splinter on my finger. I have to go to the doctors to get it removed. I know they will numb the area before they do anything but i will still panic a lot since im fully awake. I even pass out when i get shots in my arm so this will for sure make me really petrified. I am terrified of needles and cutting into skin, even if i look away or hold someones hand.. do you think they can sedate me or put me under something to calm me down?

they would rather not, a deaths from a allergic reaction to the anesthesia adds to the risks .................

• kelvin

they will not waste the time for that

They can in theory. However, it is not a good idea unless it is reaosnably medically necessary in view of the type of procedure to be done. This is because of the fact that with the use of systemic anesthetics there is the inherent risk of cardiac arrest or serious arrhythmia due to the anesthetic agent itself, which in turn has to be weighed against the potential for the adverse cardiac effects of pain or a vassovagal response (the latter which can result in just as serious complications). The more appropriate course of action, in terms of balancing these things in this type of case would be the administration of a benzodiazipine and then only if absolutely necessary to avoid the reaction.

Oh come on for Pete's sakes you have a splinter in your finger and you want the doctor to put you to sleep. Take yourself and oxycodone before you go or go to your local Indian corner store and drink a big strong glass of kratom tea. Or a couple of strong drinks.

Tell them your fears and that you don't know how to deal with them. They will try to help.

you can ask thern but just dont look if it bothers you

• IOM

They can, but they won't. They'll do local only. Just don't look. 😉

Sedation is dangerous. It's not worth it for a relatively minor procedure like that. They do it on animals, mostly to protect the vet.

Your doctor will probably use novocaine. He'll take a little syringe and just poke it into the skin, maybe 1/16" deep. Seriously, just a prick. Probably in several places around thd wound. I hate needles too but really, this is not that bad. If you just relax, you'll be surprised how little it actually hurts.

• Joe

You can ask for sedation, as long as you're not driving yourself home, afterward.

That should be enough.

• Eva

They can give you something to relax you, but it's such a minor procedure that it's not worth the time and added expense.

• sparrow

If it would help reduce their anxiety, then it would be worth it to this patient.