Brian J asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 5 months ago

How accurate are weather channel forecasts?

My girlfriend and I have a trip planned for SC that’s been booked for 6 months. I just checked the weather channel forecast of the area we are going and it showed rain the entire 5 days we’ll be down there. Is this certain the rain will be everyday or do you think this could be off a bit and we’ll get at least 2-3 days of sun?

• Joe

You cannot forecast that accurately that far in advance. No matter how sophisticated computers or satellites become, there is always the butterfly effect. All that means is there are millions of ever changing variables that occur every day, every hours which may or may not have and effect on the weather. You can't account for all of them. All the weather channel can do is give an educated guess. But don't let that stop you. Go to SC and enjoy. If you get rain so what..? Start make some contingency plans for the rainy days. Rainy days are pretty good for staying in bed all day with your gf and some wine and cheese.

• oikoσ

It varies. Different forecasts can be diametrically opposite for the same day. Also, unless you are going to be in the home city as the TV station (or other source), the forecast may be off. Also, the rain might come while you are asleep as easily as coming while you are having a picnic. Learn enough meteorology to make your own forecast for the next day. [I learned enough that I can talk to a woman and tell whether.]

The only clue you will get about the amount of rain is the probability number they give with the forecast.

You can get forecasts for anywhere in the US by going to the Weather Channel online.

• Bill

You can check other sources like AccuWeather or NOAA and see if they agree.

sornetirnes theyre accurate and other tirnes theyre not

It is rainy season in the South East. It normally rains in the evenings and sometimes for only a half hour or so during the day in the summer. It's rarely an all day rain out this time of year

I never use the weather channel ...I just go to google and type in something like Charleston SC weather and it gives a pretty good forecast.

LOL! Weather 'forecasts' 6 months down the track may as well have been derived from a crystal ball.

• TQ

"Weather 'forecasts' 6 months down the track ..." if I had your reading comprehension problem I'd post anonymously too