Why doesn’t the play stop in hockey when a player breaks his stick?

If a player breaks his stick and if he has no stick on the ice, why doesn’t the clock and play stop with the whistle? Isn’t that dangerous? I mean if a player got hurt on the ice, the play won’t continue and will have to stop due to safety issues but why isn’t it a safety issue when a player loses his stick or if... show more If a player breaks his stick and if he has no stick on the ice, why doesn’t the clock and play stop with the whistle? Isn’t that dangerous? I mean if a player got hurt on the ice, the play won’t continue and will have to stop due to safety issues but why isn’t it a safety issue when a player loses his stick or if his stick breaks where he has no stick and can’t defend the puck? This especially happens in the playoffs where the play just goes on with no whistle when a player loses his stick.