Is there any opera that is sung in English?

All the opera I have heard is all sung in Italian, French or German.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Of course, loads of them. First there's Purcell's Dido and Aeaneas (from the 17th century), then you have all the operettas by Sullivan (Mikado, Pirates of Penzance etc), operas by Britten (Billy Budd, Peter Grimes).

Then there are operas written by American composers like Gershwin (Porgy and Bess), Bernstein (Candide). 

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

My university performed Ned Rorem's 'Our Town' last January, so there's that too in addition to all of the other comments

Also Candide, by Leonard Bernstein. (Has a tiny bit of Spanish in it too)

• 7 months ago

ANY opera may be sung in English if there is an English translation and the opera house concerned wishes to have it performed in English. At the English National Opera house in London ALL operas are performed in English, regardless of their original language.

But many operas have been composed with the words in English, the best known perhaps being works by the English composer Benjamin Britten.

• 7 months ago

Porgy and Bess for one is sung in English.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Many of the operas in the standard repertoire have been performed in English translation on occasion, although it's hard to make the new words fit the existing music.

On the other hand, there have been plenty of operas that were written in English to begin with. Just off the top of my head I think of: "Porgy and Bess" by George Gershwin, "Billy Budd" and "Peter Grimes" by Benjamin Britten, "The Ballad of Baby Doe" by Douglas Moore, "Amahl and the Night Visitors" by Gian Carlo Menotti, "Einstein on the Beach" by Philip Glass, and "Merry Mount" by Howard Hanson.

A longer list can be seen at https://www.ranker.com/list/english-operas/referen...

Personally, I don't find operas in English any easier to understand than operas in any other language.

Later: As it happens, I am receiving "Billy Budd" from a scheduled radio broadcast through the airwaves right now (10:15 AM PDT, 6 July 2019). (So it is not as though English operas are difficult to access.)

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Beethoven's Fidelio is often performed in English and some of the newer operas like John Adams' opera Nixon in China are in English. Ditto for The Who's Tommy, of course.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago
  • 7 months ago

there probably is sornewheres

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Pearl, when people criticise your replies for being banal and simplistic, this is what they're talking about. You claim that 'I'm only trying to help people' but tell me honestly, how can 'There probably is somewheres' actually HELP anyone, when other replies are giving real FACTS?

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Yes there many of them. You could look them up on Google.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There are several modern "rock operas" like 'Jesus Christ Superstar' and 'Tommy' that are done in English.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.