How much should I be taxed?

I am 17 and am currently working two part time jobs, 1 shift a week (8 hours) in job A and 1 or 2 shifts a week (anywhere from 8-16 hours) in job B on top of college. I have been working at job A for about a year and am earning minimum wage and have never been taxed. I started job B about a month ago and am earning just above minimum wage, I got my first paycheck from this job the other day and I was expecting to have earned £101, however I only got £57! I was so confused so I told my manager and she said I was taxed that much because I am working two jobs. She said I will get it back, but will this happen every time I get paid or is it just this once?

I don't earn over £12,000 so I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be taxed at all. Will I continue to be taxed this much because I have two jobs, even though I don't earn over £12,000 a year? (I also haven't gotten my payslip yet so I'm not sure exactly how much has been taken). I know literally nothing about tax so please explain this situation as simply as possible, thankyou. : )

What is the tax code on your pay receipt?

• 1 year ago

tax 0% on earnings up to £12,500* ( This starts from 2019-20)

20% on anything you earn between £12,501 and £50,000

40% Income Tax on earnings between £50,001 to £150,000

£150,001 and over you pay 45% tax

Source(s): UK stock market news and research
  • 1 year ago

In the UK, you don't pay tax until you earn above £12,000 a year

However - if you're working 2 jobs, or variable shifts, you may be on an emergency tax code for one job. You can expect to get a tax rebate (ie they'll give you back the paid tax) after the end of the tax year.

Your payslip will have your tax code on it. You can always speak to HMRC (call or chat online) for more info.

• 1 year ago

She is correct. The more you earn the more the take out for taxes. Once you file if you don't owe any you get a refund.

• sunshine_mel
      1 year agoReport

Not a valid answer for the UK

• 1 year ago

whatever your rnanager told you