Do the police care about undeclared cosmetic car mods?

Say you have car insurance but add a spoiler to the car, a different body kit etc, and dont inform the insurance is there any way the police would bo bothered or interested in trying to find that out? or do they only pull cars over with illegal mods

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

The insurance company may well care if you fit any mode without clearing it with them.

• F
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

No but if you a massive spoiler and loud exhaust, you might as well have a sticker saying, "Police, please stop me", so make sure you are insured properly.

• Neil
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If you are in the UK, then undeclared cosmetic mods mean you are uninsured, despite paying for your insurance.

The police are unlikely to pull you over for the spoiler, but if they pull you over for any other reason they might check with your insurer, at which point your car will be seized for being uninsured. It is possible that your insurer will then cancel your policy, and if that happens you will find insurance more difficult and more expensive for the rest of your driving life.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The only one that police care about in my area is if the exhaust is too loud.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

The police sometimes care about exhaust modifications that make the car louder.

They probably wouldn't care about a spoiler.

However, if you have an accident, then

1) the insurance will only pay for the damage to the car itself; they won't pay for damage to the things that you added

2) they might claim that your mods caused the accident and refuse to pay at all

• Ron
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Undeclared cosmetic mods? That's not even a thing. Can these mods cause harm to others? Will these mods blind oncoming traffic? Are these mods in any way considered obscene?

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The POLICE don't care at all, as long as your modifications are LEGAL and don't present a hazard to others.

• May
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Police don't care unless the modifications are illegal. Insurance won't pay to have those modifications repaired or replaced unless they have been notified of them.

• 5 months ago

Nope, the police don't care. I don't even think your insurance company would care.

When insurance companies talk about modifications, they don't mean cheapass bling. They mean stuff that physically alters the vehicle and its value. Adding a wing is no different than adding a bumper sticker, because it doesn't do a blasted thing to the performance or the value of the car.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I would doubt they'd care unless it broke some law, like tinted windows or missing pollution control devises ...................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.