It getting any type of IT or Computer Science degree a terrible career choice?

I will use a Dilbert comic strip I saw once to sum it up. Dilbert goes into his employers office and they have the following conversation: Dilbert: "I need this class to update my skills. Will you approve the expense?" Employer: "Where's the analyses of alternatives?" Dilbert: "What... show more I will use a Dilbert comic strip I saw once to sum it up. Dilbert goes into his employers office and they have the following conversation:

Dilbert: "I need this class to update my skills. Will you approve the expense?"

Employer: "Where's the analyses of alternatives?"

Dilbert: "What do you mean?"

Employer: "The analyses of alternatives. When you ask me for funding, you have to tell me what my options are."

Dilbert: "Oh okay, well option 2: Do nothing while I become increasingly unqualified at my job.

Option 3: Replace me with someone younger who you can pay less money to and who already has the skills.....oh rats."

Does that about sum up the IT field in a way that doesnt apply to a lot of other fields?

Afterall, you can pay for your own continuing education, keep up with all the latest skills, but once you're middle aged you'll be commanding a higher salary that your company doesnt have to pay.

Because every summer, there will be a fresh new supply of 22 year old college graduates who have all the latest tech skills who can be hired at half the salary of a middle aged employee with 20 years on the job, and they'll be thrilled to take the offer.