Rochelle asked in PetsCats · 1 year ago

My cat is a year and a half old and she is very skinny but she seems healthy otherwise I don't know what the problem is?

She is ALWAYS hungry and she has a ton of energy but she is really skinny and I don't know why. I need help

• J C
    1 year ago

Time for a vet appointment. Your cat should not be skinny, and "seems healthy" is not the same as a vet check as many times there is an underlying condition. Call the vet today and make an appointment for her, and on that day, get a nice fresh stool sample to take with you. Cats may be tiny, but not skinny. I have a 3 year old Thai Cat who is not even 6 pounds. She is petite, and not skinny. She is solid and of great body condition, but she is just a tiny cat. Skinny is not the same thing as 'tiny' or 'petite'.

• Ocimom
    1 year ago

Get the cat to the vet. Likely your cat has worms and the vet will need a stool sample. If she is not spayed, get her done quickly. Also you will need to feed her top quality canned food twice a day. In this case to add some weight, you can also feed her some dry - but don't give her too much.

• 1 year ago

you need a vet visit to rule out any issues.

• 1 year ago

Has she seen a vet? How much are you feeding her?

1 year ago

Stool sample and to the vets, but cats are not all one-size fits all. I've known plenty of skinny cats that were all perfectly healthy. They are like people; all different body types, sizes, weights, etc. And we all have an "average" that we should go by, same is true for cats. I once knew a cat that was all of 5 pounds, considered "underweight" according to all those charts, but she was healthy as any cat could be ate, played, she was just really tiny.

My one cat is just a beast, just huge, and he would be considered "overweight" by any chart you see, however, again, he's just a monster. His paws are huge, his head is huge, he's a big boy. He's 13 pounds, but no flabby, fat tummy at all.

So if you feel so inclined, you can see a vet, but your cat just might be tiny.

• Carson
    1 year ago

She may have worms.

You may see them around her butt. She may be scratching or licking there more.

You will see the worms, they look like rice, in her fecal matter.

There is OTC remedies for that.

Besides that I have no idea. Take her to the visit.

1 year ago

Take a fresh poop sample to the vet and have it checked for parasites.

It's very unlikely that she's developed hyperthyroidism or something like that, but if you're worried, you can ask the vet to do some blood work.