Do commissioned officers spend a lot of time away from family?

Hi, I am 19 and in college. I have a very stable relationship and I am family oriented. I am considering enrolling in an ROTC program at my college because not only would I be able to get a hefty scholarship, I would be a part of a great team and better myself in many ways. Military life has interested me before... show more Hi, I am 19 and in college. I have a very stable relationship and I am family oriented. I am considering enrolling in an ROTC program at my college because not only would I be able to get a hefty scholarship, I would be a part of a great team and better myself in many ways. Military life has interested me before but I never wanted to join because I do not want long periods of time away from my significant other or family.

My boyfriend's (yes I am gay) sister is dating someone who is in the Army and their relationship suffers due to the sporadic communication and little to no time together. He and I are already long distance so it's difficult as/is. Adding military to the equation surely would be disastrous. My school offers Army, Air Force, and Navy ROTC programs.

I was wondering, if I was to join and pass one of these programs then become a commissioned officer, how much time would I be away from my family/boyfriend? I would likely go into Navy because I find them to be the "cooler" branch. I can't find much information about this at school so I am asking here from people who may have ROTC experience. Thank you!