Where do I claim carry over capital loss on my 2018 1040 form? It used to be number 13.?

Line 6, but first you have to fill out Schedule 1.

What used to be line 13 of Form 1040 is now line 13 of Schedule 1. Before you claim it on your Form 1040, you claim it on Schedule 1. After you finish filling out Schedule 1 lines 1-22, then you claim the total of those lines on Schedule 1 line 23 and on Form 1040 line 6.

Schedule D which feeds into Schedule 1 line 13 which feeds into the 1040 on line 6. So, they added a step, I think its stupid but what can you do.

• Eva

Worksheet for Sch D, then line 13 on Schedule 1. The total from schedule 1 goes on line 6 of the 1040. Note I said on the line, not in the box. The new forms are very confusing. Many of the calculations are done in the body of the form instead of going right down the boxes as before.

• NA

Same steps as before. Worksheet in sch d instructions, combine with current year gains and losses, then to 1040. Sch D will show schedule and line number.