edward asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 6 months ago

Who was the dancer I think from the 1950’s who spun around incredibly fast as she danced?

Moira Shearer in The Red Shoes 1948 movie

Possibly Ann Miller, but if you are seeing her in films....film can be sped up to achieve certain effects.

• drip

I would think you mean Ann Miller.. it was kind of her thing

My first thought was tap dancer Elenor Powell but she was more 1940s. Also Ann Miller another tapper could do some really fast turns. But she too is from mostly the 1940s.

Margot Fonteyn was a beautiful ballet dancer but not known especially for doing super fast turns as that generally isn’t important or even done much in ballet. The references to Swan Lake in other answers is more about the number of turns not the speed. Actually if done too fast it shows a lack of control.

@bluebell - there was another answer that has been removed that mentioned Margot Fonteyn. That was primarily what I was referencing, I see too that you were referencing that answer as well in your answer,

• bluebellbkk

Yes, I only mentioned the turns in Swan Lake as it's such a famous piece of choreography. I know it's not about the speed as such. I hadn't thought of Ann Miller but now she's been mentioned, yes, I can picture her all right.

What kind of dancer? Ballet, jazz, tap ... ?

Give us a bit more background.

The answer of 'Margot Fonteyn' (note the correct spelling) may refer to a recording of her in Swan Lake, doing the famous 32 'fouettés' where the dancer whips round on one point 32 times. I don't know if this is what you meant, but every ballerina who dances Swan Lake does that too - it's part of the choreography.