Do we need to sign a temporary parental rights thing for a 3 week visit?

My 4 year old is going to visit my sister in law in Las Vegas, NV for 3 weeks. My SIL mentioned that according to Nevada law, for a longer visit like this, my husband and I need to sign a paper saying she has temporary parental rights for the duration of her stay. I can t find anything about it online, so I m hoping someone on here can guide us to a source with a good answer and maybe some advice on what we should do. I trust my SIL, but my MIL has called DFS on us twice for no reason, we ve been told everything is fine both times, so I worry that MIL will twist something like that to her own benefit.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Your SIL needs temporary guardianship docs in case there's a medical emergency. If your kid falls down and needs stitches your SIL would be unable to approve that at an ER without those documents. But TBH, if the SIL is under the influence of the MIL and the MIL has tried in the past to destroy your family...I can't imagine why you'd turn your daughter over to her. I certainly wouldn't under those circumstances.

• 6 months ago

The only thing you need to have signed is an rt to emergency treatment if something should happen and she needs to be taken to the doc or hospital and it needs to have the dates of when they will have her and date of return and have it notarized. Sounds fishy to me what they want.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

ask her where she got that info

• 6 months ago

You should not give the sister temporary parental rights, but if you want her to be able to get immediate treatment for the child in case of emergency, it's a good idea to give the carer a signed consent for medical treatment.

You can print out a form for just that reason at this site:

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/medical-consent...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.