digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Fluent speakers of English, I need your help with my English?

I need to translate a poetic text but my English is not very good. Should I change this paragraph to make it sound more natural? I would be very grateful for any answers.

Days are longer in the seaside. I discovered this and I realized that I no longer need to be in a rush. That on my way home I can stop and admire the surrounding nature. That I can devote my evenings not only to the confines of my home but also to my hobbies or my time with my family. That there are no time or road barriers – everything is within hand reach. As if you learn to live anew. To live the life as if you always have time for everything.

I wouldn't recommend using this but I just had a little fun writing it so I'll post it anyway. It may give you some ideas.

I found that days pass slowly by the sea, and realized I need not rush; that while returning home, I might stop and view what nature offers, and, when arrived, devote my evenings to home, hobbies, and family. The confines of time and roadways disappear; everything lies within reach, readily at hand, as I learn to live anew a life lacking time's constraint.

• BBagwinds

TY. Since the original text was poetic, I wanted my version to be the same.

AT the seaside.

You can't be IN a seaside.

The rest is ok,

Poetically speaking.

Days aren't any shorter inside the sea. I discover this information and I realize that I no longer needed to be rushed. That, on my way home, I can stop, and admire the surrounding nature. That I can divote my evening not only to my confined home but also to the hobbies my family does. That their are not time or barriers – every thing is with in handreach. As if you learn to live a new existence. To live the life as if you always have time for every thing.

Source(s): English Professor in London
    • sanjas5 months agoReport

"That THEIR !!!! from an English Professor. Are you serious??

Days are longer (at or by) the seaside. I discovered this and realized that I no longer need to be in a rush; that on my way home I can stop and admire the nature that surrounds me; that I can devote my evenings to just being home, to my hobbies or time with my family. There are no road barriers or restraints on my time; everything is within the reach of my hand as I learn to live anew; to live life as if you always have time for everything.

I'm no writer, but your English in general is actually pretty good.

EDIT: One thing I actually would recommend is using either "at the seaside" or "by the seaside". "in the seaside" suggests you're actually in the ocean.