What kind of screw is this?

I’ve never seen a 3 “pronged” screw before. I have no idea what kind of screwdriver to even order because I can’t figure out how to google it

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best answer

It's called tamper-proof screw and Klein tools sells a tamper-proof screw kit to remove them

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Selling tools to undo "tamper-proof screws" kinda defeats the purpose.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

They are known as tri-wings - Draper do a kit with varying size bits.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It is special to keep you out. Manufacturer does not want you in there as there is nothing for you to see or repair. Check out Princess Auto and they MAY have that screwdriver tip or you may be able to do it with a flat blade screwdriver the exact size between 2 points

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Go to harbor freight and buy a tip selection for a few dollars. Get a driver handle that accepts different tips.

• 5 months ago

I dunno--but if it were me I would take it to the hardware store and ask--true value is good with that--and they have special screwdrivers that have star patterns and such...(I bought some and fixed my dishwasher that way!)

• 5 months ago

I think they’re called tri-wings. They were often used on old Nintendo consoles (the wii) to prevent people from opening it and modifying it to play other games from other regions.

• JoKyoNim
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

@taking it easy...They both are tri wings. And the 1 you show can only tighten and not be removed.
      The 1 in question can be removed and is also a tri wing. It is a security type of screw. It can be removed with the correct tip.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.