Is Hector Berlioz your favorite composer?

Favorite ORCHESTRATOR!!!! This guy - and Rimsky Korsakov, and several others, could take Mary Had a LIttle Lamb and turn it into an orchestral wonderland where even the 4th horn, the back row of violas, and the last chair trombone would all cheer for their GREAT PART in it all! Yes, inventive composer as well - and as a flutist, I have played the 2 flutes and harp Trio of the Young Ishmaelites from " L'Enfance du Christ" every single Christmas time since 1964.

his most stupenduous work, the grande messe

160 instruments, ten tuba mirams,69 soloists

I might be wrong about the numbers,,off by a few, but it is a yuuge orchestra

the guy who first conducted it was named habeknecht,,old boy started well enough,,come the part where tuba mirem or miram announce from the globes 4 corners of the planet,& inside the performance arena

habeknect lays down the baton,,pulls out a snuff case,taking a few hits and relaxing,,berlioz ran up to the podium,grabbed the baton,and beat out the tempi & volume he wanted in this thunder boomer of a work.

(from 'great first performances' by thomas f kelly)

it is the only religious piece he ever composed,, thrilling and haunting it is

• D50

I doubt anyone who listens to much music has a "favorite" composer at all. ("The last one I listened to.")

No, Mozart is my favorite.

I like his stuff, especially the Symphonie Fantastique. But my favorite is the Bad Boy from Bonn, Ludwig van himself. Beethoven is so awesome because he liked throw all sorts of rhythmic disruptions into his pieces, and that made his music often sound very 20th Century. The 9th Symphony is my favorite orchestral work, and that 4th movement, the Ode to Joy, is one of the most glorious pieces in the Western Repertoire.

Interesting trivial factoid....Beethoven is often the favorite composer of timpanists, because he was the first to treat the timpani as a musical instrument, and not just an add-on to the percussion section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJcQYVtZMo

Youtube thumbnail

No, not by a long shot.

No, but he's ONE of my favourites. There isn't enough bandwidth to list each and every one, because I literally have hundreds of 'favourites', from Bach to Bartók, and beyond.

No. But I like him a lot.

If you were putting together a collection of classical CDs, a survey of classical music, or a class on classical music, Symphonie Fantastique would have to be included, to show what 'tone color' was. It's just an amazing piece of music.

Like his middle period - - - late period, not so much.