Why are Jews in Europe and in Israel mostly white?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • John E
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Most of them look like those lovely Arab people my friend.

I don't think they look like us, the Europeans. Not at all, but that is not a problem though, the thing that bothers me is the manner of their pretension to "appear" white European.

But we let them enjoy themselves, while we are collecting information just for fun.

Thank you for sharing

Greetings

• 5 months ago

They aren't

They are mixed

They look like everybody and they can be anybody like a cult

• TNO
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Are they?

For one, white supremacists don't care what Jews look like: No matter what, they don't consider them white. While I don't particularly care for the opinions of such people on this matter, it does reflect that the history of Jews is noticeably non-white, and that Europeans for millennia didn't consider them white or anything like them. While the origin of that bigotry had no scientific basis, there is genetic evidence to support a Middle Eastern origin for Jewish ethnic groups no matter where they are. And yes, it specifically highlights the Levant area, placing their origins in Israel itself. If you consider that area non-white, then you shouldn't consider the Jews white as the influence of European genetics on them is actually found to be minimal. And that's not even considering the huge amount of Jews from families who never left the Middle East, for example Yemenite Jews who were rather isolated from the rest of the world. Of course, some people do consider these Middle Easterners white, and had to put that on official forms until recently, which only highlights how subjective the terminology actually is.

Now, a lot of Jews (including the "European" ones) are actually rather dark. They may still code as white, but the tanner variety akin to Greeks or Southern Italians despite living in Russia or Germany. Jewish ethnic groups actually display a wide variety of skin tones, which is obvious in my family if you compare my mother (a fully Ashkenazic woman who is mistaken as Arab or Turkish often) with her biological niece, who is fair skinned and blonde. For the whiter among us, one does have to assume intermarriage and that's also shown in genetic studies of the Ashkenazi Jews. There is still a stronger Middle Eastern contribution to their gene pool, but we still see a noticeable amount of those genes in the pool. That cousin I mention is an example, as she's half-Ashkenazi and half-Irish biologically, with a convert mother. On a more darker note, there are also those who suspect that a lot of the whiteness also comes from cases of rape, as during the pogroms that fate was often inflicted onto females unfortunate to be there at those times.

This wide spectrum of potential skin tones isn't unique to the "European" Ashkenazi Jews, though. We see something similar among Arab populations, particularly in the Levant around Israel. Despite what is displayed by the news media, you cannot determine the difference between an Israeli Jew and a Palestinian Arab by skin tone alone. The Israelis know better, especially since so many of them would be classified as "Palestinian Arab" by such a schema. Ditto for Palestinian Arabs who look whiter, and can pass as "Jewish" by those who don't know better. Even within other Jewish populations, there can be a lot of variation where some look dark whereas others are lighter in skin tone. I've seen this in Persian Jewish families as well, some of them passing at least as Ashkenazi though others can look rather European as well. These families had 0 contact with Europe until now, which just shows that things are a bit more complicated that many people assume.

• Kevin7
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Most Jews are Ashkenazi and Sephardi;of whom belong to the Caucasian race.There are Jews Indigenous to China(the Kaifeng Chinese Jews), to India (the Cochin Indian Jews) and to Ethiopia(Ethiopian Jews).The Cochin indian Jews,the Ethiopian Jews and the Kaifeng Chinese Jews came from the intermarriage of Middle Eastern Jews of the Caucasian race with non-Jewish people of those three respective nations. The Ashkenazi Jews,the Sephardi Jews,the Kaifeng Chinese Jews,the Ethiopian Jews and the Cochin Jews of India all have ancestry from Middle eastern Jews. Most Jews in the world have ancestry from Middle eastern Jews ( from Israel our homeland). i am Jewish Jews can be of any race or ethnicity.People can convert to Judaism.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Because judaism is a religion. Anyone can become a jew, so there are millions of white jews across Europe, Russia and America. The jews in Israel are mostly immigrants from other countries, which is why they are white. The ethnic jews, also a race, are semites, like Palestinians.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because Jesus was white and he was a Jew.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Middle Easterners are Caucasian. Arabs and Iranians are "white" too.

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Going back somewhat in time, the whole human race originated in eastern Africa, with dark skins.

• 6 months ago

You ask a good question. While it's true that Judaism did spread into Europe, that doesn't make them of the Jewish bloodline. It's often believed that the Jewish bloodline passes through the mother, but that's not true. The Jewish bloodline passes through the father. That's why the Generations talked about in the Bible are separated by the male figure and not the female. And that's why you have a "Land of Israel" and not a "Land of Miriam".

Also, true Jewish blood is made up of those Jews who do not intermarry. The bloodline has to remain pure and not mixed with Gentile blood. While these mixed-blood Jews are still considered "Jews" and descendant from the Jewish lineage, they are not Jews that are in line to inherit the Promiseland.

True Jews are Hebrew and have olive-colored skin. Anyone can convert to Judaism, just like anyone can be a Zionist. Only the unbroken bloodline, however, designates the true Jews.

• 6 months ago

Because, Judaism is a religion, not a race, and Judaism spread into Europe.

• 6 months ago

All Jewish people are "people of color". Their history comes from the Middle East.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.