Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 5 months ago

Money how do you use it?

How do you pay for day to day stuff?

Do you use a debit card?

Or do you use cash?

• Clive

Debit card, as these days I can use it almost anywhere, this being in the UK. Cheques are almost defunct now and the banks have tried to abolish them, but they couldn't quite manage that, so I still have a cheque book but it's been a long time since I wrote one. All my bills are on direct debit so I don't have to remember to pay them. I use cash rarely for small things.

What people do depends on the country - there are some European countries where people prefer to use cash more often. The UK, on the other hand, has gone heavily electronic, with contactless cards that in London even work on public transport. No need to buy tickets, just touch your card on the card reader, beep, you're on. London buses went completely cashless a few years ago and tourists need to buy an Oystercard.

we normally use it by webchat

I tend to draw out a set amount each week, and then when it’s gone, that’s it. That way It’s harder to overspend.

• GEEGEE

Credit card but pay the balance at the end of each period. Very rarely use cash, never the debit card. Use rewards points to get cash back, deposited into my checking account.

I pretty much use a credit card for everything and then pay if off every month. I get 2% cash back too.

i use a debit card, its easier cause i dont have to go to the bank all the tirne

For a long time I was so poor that I'd cash my check and just put the money in my wallet. If I wanted to buy something, I'd look in my wallet and see if I could afford it. The big expense was rent, and I'd put that money aside. I had a savings account but that money was not to spend. I always had strong scruples against going into debt. Still do. I never needed to borrow money (I was lucky!)

At some point (early 80s) I started making enough that money was accumulating in my wallet. So I moved my account to a credit union, and I got a card, an ATM card/debit card/credit card. I pull money out of the ATM for 'walking around money', for small things I pay for in cash. But I try to pay for as many things as possible with the debit card, because it creates a record. (So, for example, I can tell you exactly how much I spent at Costco in the last year.)

When I was in my 20s, all my friends got credit cards and got up to their waist in debt. Some of them have carried thousands in debt ever since, at scandalous rates like 20%. I like to think I learned from their mistakes. I REFUSE to go into debt. The problem with this is that I have no debt rating. My sweetie and I borrowed money to buy our house and to buy my machine to go into business for myself, and paid both of those off early. I used to have a credit card but I paid it off every month. Now my bank card serves the same purpose. I can use it as a 'credit card' or a 'debit card' but either way it comes out of my bank account. I carry cash for convenience, but never more than I could afford to lose. I pay my utilities either online or with a check (I find neither of these more or less convenient.)

Personally i use a mixture of both

I mostly use credit card, I have cash but I usually use credit.

I don't use debit card pretty much ever.

I trade items. Just like the ancient times

• Clive

And what happens when nobody wants what you have to trade?