Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

When my toilet is flushed, it leaks slightly from the sides of the base of the toilet. So, my question is ... IF it just needs a new wax?

ring and a flange, how long may it take a plumber to fix it (on average), AND what would be a reasonable, fair and competitive price for him to charge for it. In Atlanta, GA, if that matters. Thanks.

• Edwena

If you have a strong man who can lift the commode and set it down gently, it is easy to replace the wax ring. One of the more nasty jobs, the old wax and sewer gas making it a memorable chore. But, to answer your question, would take 30 minutes and cost more than you think it should. My guess is $200. That is why you should do it yourself. If you hire a plumber, just have him put in new everything so that you will have many years of trouble free use. Especially the pressure hose to the tank.

You can probably do that yourself with someone who can lift it for you.

Its not a hard job.

the wax ring costs about $5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIW4Rqvz-M

Youtube thumbnail

handyman job -- lots cheaper that way. Get the wax seal yourself over at home improvement store or hardware -- you want the extra thick one, not the cheap one. replacement flange and bolt set comes with.

with the water out, that toilet weighs near 100 pounds. Make sure the guy you hire to do the job knows this and is capable of moving it. You do NOT want to disassemble the tank from the bowl [if you do, the attaching bolts frequently need to be replaced.]

this is a fine DIY task if you've the strength required.

Source(s): grampa -- oldest son moved mine when we did this. I'm no longer strong enough

It may just need the seal but first of all is the toilet rock solid on the floor.? If yes, then it is just the seal. If no, then it is the entire floor.

• marty

It's really easy to do it yourself and save alot of money. I just changed my own with a non wax seal. Total cost 7.99 plus less than an hour of my time, so easy.

I thing its enough