Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 5 months ago

Why is 16 too young to get married?

36 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Best answer

Its not, well not if you go to Scotland, then its legal. I got married when I just turned 17, still married after 56 years.

• alexander5 months agoReport

scottland? every european country has an age of consent ranging from 14-16

• 5 months ago

No one truly wants to get married at any age, why would you at 16?

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because any 16 year old that has to ask is definitely too stupid to get married!

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Is that even legal? Will you be able to pay bills? You will have a child. Will you be able to provide for your child? Living on government assistance is not a carrier. 16 is very young.

• Katie
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

In the UK you can marry with your parents permission at 16.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

At 16 you have very little life experience. You aren’t even fully developed yet.

• 5 months ago

it is the age to study at school and u are so young to think about the marriage

• 5 months ago

you re not legal you troglodyte

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I don't care if a 16 year old gets married just as long as that person doesn't effect my life in any way then everything is fine.

• Steve
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Let's dispel the notion that marriage is glamorous and idyllic. Not for the first 10 years, most likely.

Marriage is HARD WORK and sacrifice. 16 year olds have far too much learning and maturing to do before they can take on the role of nurturing a spouse.

• 5 months ago

It's more likely you'll have kids when you get married and have sex regularly, and its a lot harder to support kids when you have entry-level jobs and less than a high school education. These days, those education/job opportunities often require moving, so that adds a complication. It's also a little trickier to know if you'll be compatible when you're 16 because you change a lot from 16 until your mid 20s or so; for example, I was very religious at 16 in a church that I'm no longer a part of, so if I'd married at 16, I would have had major religious differences with my husband. All that being said, I'm sure that there are situations where a marriage at 16 works out; it's just more risky.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.