Is my old Book valuable?

How do I find out if a very old Book is valuable or not? Who do I ask or where do I take it ? I will appreciate all advice. Thanks.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Sir depends on the contents of the book and author

• patty
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

google the book

• 6 months ago

Maybe a known pawn shop?

• Kevin7
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i think ask at least 4 different antique book shops if it is a valuable book

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Get thee to a rare book dealer.

• 6 months ago

You must correctly identify the edition and the printing. A first edition can undergo multiple printings. The first printing of a first edition can be very valuable while a later printing of the first edition can be worth very little.

Many sellers of books throw around terms that are incorrect (they don't know) or intentionally misleading, to drive up the price.

So if you don't know how to identify what you have, you'll need an expert.

You can start by looking inside at the first few pages for a copyright date, the publisher, and any indication of the printing. A later edition will usually not say 'second' or 'third' but give some other name to it. For example, 'The Cambridge Edition'. This would be a dead giveaway that it's not a first edition, and most likely not the original publisher.

So take what you find and look for it on eBay or ABE books. Look for the closest match you can find, and then, look at actual sold results, not asking prices, which are often inflated. I do not know if ABE books shows results.

If you should see what you have selling for good money, then it's time to have an expert look at it, to confirm that you have a valuable book.

• Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

good suggestions, also, printings can be different from editions, & may be indicated by a series of numbers on the publication etc information page, or by a specific typo etc within the text; autographed copies are typically more valuable, & also dust jackets/paper dust covers, even if in tatters

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The only way is to have it appraised by a book seller. They have to look at it.

• Simply look at abe's books or any of the dozens of sites which sell old books these days.

Then divide by four and you might find the real price for which it would sell.

Google the book name and edition.

No edition or copyright info? Likely a public domain work worth a buck.

• Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

very interesting comments & anecdotes; also, Asker didnt mention anything to indicate publication data, age, or name of the book: eg a genuine Very old antique Shakespeare book could be very old, yet without much publisher much data listed, & yet still be fairly valuable

• 6 months ago

Many older books that seem like they ought to be valuable aren’t. Leather bound classics, in good condition, printed from the 1860s-1930s in the US are worth an average of about $2 - $3 each--if you can find a buyer. For many people finding a box of books in the attic or as part of grandma’s things, owning old books is worth more than you could sell them for.

Any book newer than that, or in less that excellent condition, is worth a dollar or so. Libraries' used book sales price them there--but at two or three for a dollar on their last day.

You can seek identical books for sale at ebay, AbeBooks, etc. The asking price isn’t significant; what’s bid or what the book sells for is an approximation of the book’s actual value in an open market.

• 6 months ago

Take it to a rare book dealer - yellow pages should provide phone number

• Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

interesting suggestion & comment; Before dong so however: Very Clearly establish Tangible Physical Proof of Clear Ownership & Source of That Copy of That Exact Book!!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.