Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 7 months ago

I feel like if someone has a Computer Science degree, but they appear average, a well known company will never hire them. Is that true?

For example, they have a 3.0 GPA or lower, didn't do any internships, never get tough interview questions correct, etc.... I feel like companies such as Intel, Honeywell, Boeing, State Farm, IBM, will never give them a job offer. Since there's lots of Computer Science graduates and lots of competition. They could probably get jobs at either smaller companies or positions that pay $10,000 or more less. Do you agree?

Favorite Answer

Probably

I was an Accounting major and I have an Accounting degree.

When I graduated, there were 8 (I think) big CPA firms. Rumor was the they, quite literally, ranked their interviewees by GPA and only offered jobs to the ones at the top.

Though I have never worked for a CPA firm, have been quite satisfied with my career and income. Just because you don't work for one of the big firms doesn't mean that you won't be happy and successful.

Yes, it's true because companies don't care much about degrees. They care about what you can do. Your skills are more important than your credentials. Many big tech companies, such as Google, Apple, and IBM, don't even require degrees anymore. They'll evaluate your skills with a programming test. For example if C# is required for the job, they'll give you a test with C# interview questions: https://www.testdome.com/d/c-sharp-interview-quest...

Coding tasks like these are pretty much ubiquitous for programming interviews.

Sounds about right...but this person is below average.

• Judy

Uh, that person is well below average as a CS grad, and no, can't expect to get a top job.

• DEBS

What you describe as 'average' I would describe as less than average. You are correct that the larger companies typically will have many applicants to pick from. They would not need to higher someone who has not shown the grades or drive (experience/internship) to get ahead.