Lily asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 5 months ago

Should I pay to go to a festival with a close friend because she wants to but I don't?

So one of my bestfriends is begging me to go to this festival with her but it's £60 and I dont like the line up too much. I feel bad if i say no but i don't really want to go.. am i a bad friend for saying no?

No you're not a bad friend. I say "no" if i don't want to go somewhere. If a friend cant accept "no" then what kind of a friend are they in the first place?

You're not a bad friend for saying no. An invitation is not a subpoena.

Thank her for asking you but let her know that it's just not your cup of tea and you'd love to do something else with her on another day.

No, of course not. Just be honest, don't mess her around: tell her quickly* that you aren't keen and don't want to spend that amount on something you're not crazy about.

Surely she can find someone else to go with? Or even (gasp!) go alone?

* I say 'quickly' because the longer you leave her in suspense, the more hurt she'll feel when you eventually tell her.