is it possible to do an 1800 to 2000 sq foot roof in a day correctly?

when my parents had their roof done it took a long time.maybe a couple weeks altogether. it is a 3 bedroom cap cod. now where i live they are doing the roof in a day. all shingles removed and replaced. I can see 2 people working at the moment.

there could be more people working. i just can only see 2 at the moment.

OBVIOUSLY, i am aware the number of workers affects it as I mentioned the number.....and yes I am aware there are other factors such as pitch of roof and any unusual difficulties...

if they are organized and they are new construction, roofers can do 3 houses side by side in a day. As fast as they are laid down, they are nailed.

It is hard to do WRONG. You saw 2 so there may have been a 3rd on the ground to clean up the stripped off shingles into a bin. If the weather is right for them then 2 days is normal for shingles(if it is a simple roof). If it is torched on, it is done faster...so long as the weather holds. Too hot is too hot. They stop mid day because it is 120F up there. They would get whoosy and die. They do not NEED TO DIE for any job.

A single roofer guy stripped and put on underlay and put on shingles in 3 days on a 8 peak roof (maybe it was 4). I did not keep a record of that event. Out of sight, out of mind. Now it is a 30 year roof.

I tried it before hammer nailing it together.(stripping it first and just did it like the roofers did before. Underlay was not used. It would have taken me 4 days had I not fallen.That roof lasted 18 years...which is about average for asphalt shingles. So, even the PAINTER can do it right.

Pitch does not matter. That just makes the roof bigger than the square footage of the flooring in the house.

There are two ways to shingle a roof. One is to rip off all of the old shingles and begin anew. The second way is to lay the roof shingles over the old roof. Obviously it is going to take much less man hours and labor to apply roof shingles over the existing ones.

If your parent's house took two weeks, they either had more work to be done or the guys did not show up to work every single day because a roof should not take two weeks to complete.

yes ,it possible,akcualy very pepole important

yes, this is possible. However, they likely will only "paper in" and then have to wait for government inspection. then they'll come back and do the shingles in a single day

• C

A local roofer made an offer to re-roof one house in the city for a Christmas present. (He'd had a really good year.)

Crew arrived, tore off old roof and sheathing, including throwing buckets of water,ice,snow out attic windows. New sheathing, ice and water shield, roof in one day...dressed in elf outfits

Yes . . . with at least 2 experienced guys and a go-fer.

Add a day if the old roof and underlayment is going to be removed with new underlayment, edging, flashing.

• y

Yes, I see it all the time

It's not the number of days, it's the number of labor hours that determines when a job is finished. So if you have one person working a normal workweek, that's 40 labor hours. But if you have two people working side by side doing 40 labor hours, they can get the job done in 2.5 days...1/2 workweek.

My point, those two people atop that roof will finish sooner than one person doing the same job. Assuming of course they know how to work together smoothly.

• elhigh

A day...should be. I'd expect more like two, though. Working by myself with no special tools I stripped old shingles, made framing and deck repairs and re-papered and reshingled about 250 square feet of my own garage roof, start to finish on just one day, and I didn't start until after lunch. That's with no ground crew and, like I said, no special tools. Just having an air nailer would have cut the time in half.

A typical crew of three to five guys should be able to do a roof that size in two days. Two weeks just sounds ridiculous. I could do it in one week; two weeks is silly.