English Student's Question: money did not affect the issue?

Could you help me understand the following passage from a novel? As to the code of this class, it consisted almost entirely of what you should _not_ say and what you must _not_ do. Everything of any importance had been settled, and rightly settled, long ago. Your duty was to conform and to serve. You were... show more Could you help me understand the following passage from a novel?

As to the code of this class, it consisted almost entirely of what you should _not_ say and what you must _not_ do. Everything of any importance had been settled, and rightly settled, long ago. Your duty was to conform and to serve. You were "the right type," or you weren't. Money did not affect the issue one way or the other. And there weren't problems. Democracy was responsible for all social and political evils.

I am not sure what "Money did not affect the issue" means. I appreciate it very much if you could paraphrase this sentence. Thank you in advance!