Do you think I should be working more hours or that I'm being lazy?

I work as a nurse - I work 12.5 hour shifts, 3 shifts a week with one week a month of four shifts.

People are always saying to me 'are you still just doing the 3 shifts' 'are you doing more hours now" and my aunty, who is an ex nurse, said to me 'are you just doing the 3 shifts? That's fine, you just want to relax'

It really frustrated me because the only way for me to get more hours is overtime shifts, I work one or two a month but would be too tired if I did more.

The shifts switch regularly from days to nights and you often need a day between just to sleep.

Do you think this working pattern is easy compared to most adults? I don't feel happy to do more overtime as I would be too tired on my regular shifts and I feel you need a lot of energy to do the job properly

Favorite Answer

If you're at your capacity and you can pay your bills, it's all good.

37.5 hours/week is not lazy. You have the option to bump it up if you want to, but as someone who works my full-time hours in 3.5 days/week, I understand how tiring it is to do a whole extra shift especially if the days are in a row.

Yes, people think I'm "spoiled" because I "only" work 3.5 days/week. They don't know that I get up at 3:45 AM or that three of my days are really long. Life's too short to worry about what others think.

When people ask you if you "just work the three shifts" you can answer with something like "Yes, I'm working full-time as I always have."

It’s up to you. Do you want to work more

If you are lucky enough to be able to make ends meets without working yourself to dead.

You don't have to.

Hello,

If they feel like more hours need to be worked then they can feel free to punch the clock anytime & work them. Also respectfully your "aunty" knows where you work so give her the company website and tell her to apply for any position

Best

I don't think you're lazy for not working more hours at all. Why be dead on your feet? Why make yourself so tired that you make mistakes that you otherwise would not? It's not like you're a nail tech and if you use the wrong polish someone's going to get hurt. You are in the medical field, and if you make a "tired" mistake, the consequences can be devastating.

I'm not a nurse, but nurses are GREAT! I remember when my baby was in the hospital, how great you people were, how caring you were, how awesome you were. I won't say anymore or I'll start to cry from just overwhelming gratitude.

Live the life you want to live, not the life others think you should live. Great for your aunt if she wants to do that. Great for you if you don't.

Thanks for all that you do.

I WISH I could do this. I know the 12's are long hours, but would love the 4 day weeks. Most nurses in my area do the same shift. My daughter in law is only required 3 days, but she usually asks for 4 days (she's an RN).

????????????????????

• Iam

Actually you are working and AVERAGE of 40 hours and 37 minutes per week based on 50 hours every 4th week. You don't need to justify yourself - you are working full time in a demanding job.

I think 3 shifts per week with the occasional overtime is fine. This working pattern is hard compared to most working people but that's what you can expect.

Don't do overtime for other people. That's ridiculous. But if you want to do it for you, to save money, or for any other reason, it can be done. Many, many people in responsible jobs do overtime shifts and deal with the tiredness because they need the money, or the experience in a particular role. My husband worked three years straight, doing 13 hour night shifts for four nights and then switched to a second job on 12 hour days on his four 'rest' days, because we simply needed the extra money. Of course he got tied and burned out because he never had a day off, but he was determined, because we had a financial goal. When the going gets tough, some of the tough get going, but only you can decide how tough you want to be, and how much you actually need to do more shifts.