Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 6 months ago

Is it grammatical to say "I've been reading the book all day long"?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it is.

There are often other ways to express the same meaning, but as it stands, your sentence is perfectly correct.

One answer objected to 'all day long' and suggested just 'all day' instead. While that would certainly be correct, there is nothing wrong with using 'all day long', which adds emphasis.

Please note too that a sentence can be grammatically correct even when it doesn't make sense (though yours does). There is NO need for there to be any explanation of what the book is, from the grammatical point of view.

• bluebellbkk

John P, our experience of the English language usually tallies, but in this case I feel the word 'long' adds emphasis to the period of time spent in reading the book. But in any case, is there anything specifically wrong with sounding poetic or old-fashioned? It may be the effect the writer wanted.

Yes and some other choices could be "I have spent all day reading my book." or "I have done nothing today, other than having read my book."

Yes. It's correct. But usually when the name of the book was previously mentioned.

It's not usually said out of the blue, out of context like that, with no explanation of which

book it is.

• RP

Yes, but it could be better. Try: I've been reading the book all day OR I've spent all day reading the book.

Your sentence is correct in every way.

Yes, but only if in a sentence before or after explains what the book was.

• bluebellbkk

The sentence is grammatical as it stands, regardless of whether the book is named.

"I've been reading a book all day long"

"I've been reading this book all day long"

"I've been reading the book of the month/book recommended by my prof./name of book , etc. all day long"

If it's an answer to, "Have you been reading the assigned work?" "I've been reading the book all day long" would work.

Source(s): TLM