Remy asked in PetsFish · 5 months ago

Anyone know what kind of fish this is?

I bought this fish and was told it was a cory cat but did more research and it looks nothing like one. I'm obviously new to aquariums thank you

Rosy Barb - a fish related to the tetra family which is a HUGE family of fish. The spot behind the gill tells me Tetra....

It may be a hybrid. Tetras are a favorite of breeders and many hybrids exist. If yours is a Rosy Barb -Tiger Barb mating it looks pale or maybe it's the photo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freshwater_a...

U R right. That is not a cat fish. That is a Rasbora.

• Ocimom

Looks like a tetra. But whoever told you it was a catfish needs glasses or their head examined. This is a Cory Catfish.

https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-aqua...

I think you see from the answers that you do not have a Cory catfish.

I'm terribly curious where you shopped and got that info. Please answer that for me and the other users here. It will be most helpful.

Serpae tetra. It's a little stressed so the colours are pale.

I dont know this topic

Looks like a rather pale red serpae tetra or possibly a phantom tetra.

The serpae is relatively aggressive and should be in a shoal of 6 or more of its own species in a 20 gallon or larger aquarium. The phantom tetra has similar requirements but is less nippy.

Definitely make sure to know what you're buying before you do. Whoever told you it's a corydoras catfish needs to hit the books again big time!

It may still be a Cory.

I've provided a link to a site with a few varieties of Cory, although none which look exactly the same.

You could Google more images with the same search as I used ie. "Cory fish types" and you may find one which matches in appearance more precisely.