marissa asked in PetsFish · 1 year ago

I have a 20 gallon tank that is cycled and heavily planted with real and some fake plants how many female bettas can fit.?

Yes I’ve done my research on sorority’s and I have 6 in there that all get along well. Could I get one more?

• 1 year ago

I second everything that bookshelf said.

If you want more fish maybe 5 oto cats, but then again, leaving it as is is safer.

1 year ago

One more shouldn't make a big difference, you could even add 2 catfish in the tank to help keep the bottom clean.

Female betas don't grow very big in body and as long as there are decorations and plants to hang in they shouldn't have any territorial issues. If it were goldfish or angel fish etc that will adapt their size to the size of the tank then you might have issues, betas can last quite a few years. Our catfish averaged around 25 years each.

• 1 year ago

It's a high risk introducing a lone female to an established sorority. Likely they'll all attack the newcomer. It's best to leave established sororities undisturbed with new additions as it could upset even the existing hierarchy.

You could possibly succeed by removing all fish and keeping them separate for a few days and rearranging all decorations, then adding all seven simultaneously. But with live plants it's really more effort than it's worth.

My suggestion is to leave it as is. If the six females you have are all doing well with one another, don't disturb that by adding another. Just weigh the risk over reward, personally I wouldn't risk upsetting all six and possibly losing one to injury over trying to add one single fish.