Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 6 months ago

Should I continue piano lessons?

I have been going for about three months, but I haven t progressed as fast as other players do.

When I first started I already knew how to read sheet music, dynamics, time signatures and all that other stuff (from playing the violin at school) but didn t know anything about the piano itself.

Other piano players have started playing songs like Fur Elise by week one but I am stuck playing the easy version of Aloha Oe.

Its not that I have a hard time learning, I learn pieces very fast and don t know what to practice because I have already mastered the songs and scales two days after our session.

Should I ask my teacher to speed up things or what? Piano lessons are very expensive for me.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Anyone can play something,

but can you REALLY play it?

----

I'm taking piano studio (I'm a vocalist, in voice studio).

The angle of my hands

Posture

the attack of the note

the motion of my wrist on the attack of the note

the balance of voices between my fingers

the balance of phrases and how they change dynamically

the appropriate use of rubato, pedal, etc

the 'emotional character' of the piece, and how well I express it.

The meaning of the piece

Harmonic analysis and other analysis of the piece

These are all more than just the notes. Anyone can learn to play the notes, 'mastering it' means your very aware of all of these things. Not just "Oh, well the answer to one of the things I've listed is x", all of the aforementioned should be very planned and laid out.

I can 'play' Mozart's Fantasia in D minor

but I'm working on pieces and PLAYING pieces with considerations from that list from Schumman's Album for the Young (for children). I get to sing with a symphony in December as a 'guest artist' and I'm not bothered by it, but oh my god I played at my first piano recital and I almost fainted.

(next semester I get a Bach prelude and 2 Chopin preludes, also the very easy kind).

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

yes i think that its ok to tell your teacher give you harder materials

• zeno
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Stop taking lessons and listen to the music

Of previous piano players like Ray Charles,

Fats domino, billy Joel, the carpenters, and

Many other brilliant musicians. Play the songs

You like and that resonate with you. Billy Joel

Was self taught and played what sounded right

To him. Part of music is listening to your instincts and make your own style that defines

You. So what songs do you want to be part

Of or have represent your work? I hope it's

As good as the carpenters or billy Joel. They

Were great. Good luck

• 6 months ago

The piano is a different set of strings than a violin and it has foot controls so ask your teacher to watch you play for a few minutes even if you need to pay a little more for the 'private session' part.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

My husband and I are both career musicians and music teachers. He is a fine pianist who has been a soloist at Lincoln Center. NOBODY is playing Fur Elise after their first lesson - unless they barely started it from some bogus YooToob "follow my fingers" site. Perhaps other students are better at practicing than you are. Perhaps they takes notes at lessons, and follow the teachers directions and advice. So first you are complaining - and then tell us that you *mastered* the works assigned in 2 days. If you play them for your teacher, they must not think that YOUR idea of mastery is not the same as theirs - and that you are not as proficient as you claim. Talk to them about it - and see why YOU think you are being held back.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Keep trying, because not all people learn to play the piano at the same pace.

• 6 months ago

Islam does not allow Western stuff

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.