Does Premium gas make any difference to a car that can take regular?

I have a 2017 Rogue and a few times I have put premium gas in my car from Costco. It takes 87 Regular but I put in 91.

I'm not sure if its a placebo affect cause I noticed that the acceleration is faster and my mileage is better.

My mechanic says it slightly increases the torque because its burning a higher octane or something.

Does it benefit the car itself like cleaning the fuel injectors and such? Like what would happen if you put 87 in a BMW?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best answer

as an engine tester for a major motor manufacturer for over 30 years I am aware of effect of fuel maps. fuels. compression ratios .cam profiles etc . for my penny worth. it is pointless using higher octane fuel unless you're engine is mapped and capable of using it full effect!. So NO real benefit to be gained at all. wasting $ . you can write and ask the engineering customer support team for you vehicle manufacturer . I am confident you will get same answer. you can also ask same question form other sites such as petrol heads. or motor car magazines all will I am sure go along same line of ..not worth using it.

• Dan
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

@KsAsshole, unfortunately you're about 15 years behind the times and what used to be true is no longer as ignition timing changes by itself now. I know you don't understand this but it does.

• F
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Only if your car was designed (mapped) to use it. Fifth gear (a UK motoring programme) did a test on this several years ago. The used 3 cars, a 1.4 Renault Clio.A Gof GTi, and a Subaru WRX Sti. They concluded it was awaste of money for the Clio, break even for the GTi, and well worth while for the Subaru.

• 5 months ago

A cat crossed the road today. She looked very beautiful. Well, I assume it was a her.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

In cold weather the car would start faster. Your mileage would go up around a mile a gallon, which is not worth the price increase. If your fuel injectors are dirty it would help clean them. Other than that it is a wast on money to use high test in a vehicle set up to use regular gas!

• Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

Might just Might get 1 MPG difference.Only the Quality of gas makes difference in cleaning, not the grade.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Ordinarily no. If your regular gas engine has carbon build up or some such that might make it prone to pinging, then possibly. Otherwise, it will make no difference. Octane actually make the gas less volatile in a manner of speaking.

• Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

"Volatility" is ability to readily change state. Not:
      " flammability" nor tendency to "Ex plo de". Carbon tet and Freon are very volatile but Not even flammable. Higher octane Rating means less tendency to spontaneously ignite (preignite, detonate),

• don r
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

My regular fueled cars get noticably better mileage when premium gas is used. The added cost is offset by the additional range achieved. Not only one car I've demonstrated this with, but several.

• Dan
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

KY, you're about 15 years behind the times. They have these things in cars now called computers and they deal with high compression engines no problem. They say crap fuel will work for cheap idiots like you but they'll adapt to the the better fuel and take advantage of the high compression. Imagine

• 5 months ago

You are wasting your money.

• 5 months ago

Use the Octane rating that the manufacturer requires of its engine. Octane rating is nothing more than the speed in which the gasoline will burn.

Pre-ignition (engine ping/knock) is a damaging phenomenon that occurs within engines. With a fast-burning gasoline (87 rating) it can happen within higher-compression engines. Those engines need a slower-burning gasoline to prevent engine ping (89/93/104/etc rating...the higher the number, the slower it burns).

In no way and in no form does it affect performance or gas mileage on an engine only requiring 87 octane. None. Nada. Zero affect.

It DOES help higher compression engines to achieve their proper performance. Only those engines benefit from higher-octane gas.

As for cleaning the fuel system (e.g. injectors): All grades of gasoline have the same 'cleaners'. The 'Premium' branding is a lot of up-front BS from oil companies trying to get an extra dollar out of your wallet.

Source(s): Your mechanic is stupid. Run far away from him. If he doesn't know this simple effect on car engines, then he has no business being under your hood. I've known the 'octane myth' since the mid-80's....when I started tinkering with engines.
  • 5 months ago

Octane ratings are for the amount of inhibitor put in gasoline to stop pre-ignition. Therefore 91 octane gas doesn't burn as well as 87 octane gas.

All gasoline is refined so well you won't have dirty injectors unless you leave the vehicle sit for a year with old gas in it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Murzy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's a waste of money to use higher octane unless you have a high performance engine.

• M.
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

dependent on rpm, load, compression ratio and gasoline octane rating. It's complicated.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.