Who here remembers taking tubes out of the TV, then down to the drug store to test them on the machine and get replacements?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best answer

LOL! Yeah, we used to do that.

I also remember going with my parents to Sears on a Friday night so we could watch The Flintstones in color. They had five or six color TVs on, for demonstration purposes, and the colors were all disgusting--like orange skin tones. Not a good ad for color TV.

Much later I was trained as a broadcast engineer, and that was all about tubes because big radio transmitters still use tubes. I learned to use every scale on a slide rule! That year the HP35 came out, the first pocket calculator. They cost $350 and each instructor got one.

• Uncle Pennybags
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Beats me. I always remember having a color TV in the house. A great RCA 23" console I think that my parents bought in 1965 I think. Don't know how they afforded it, but it was always there in the house. Great TV. We used that for 20 years.

• 5 months ago

yes, I do remember those days

• 5 months ago

Guitar amps and grandpa's house.

He was a radio engineer and had an ample supply of tubes and a tester. If he didn't have one, a phone call or two and a tube would be found at a buddy's place. Very rarely would a tube need to be ordered.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I did that when i was 14, maybe 12.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

ma usually bought one used 60,seventy bucks,we ran it till the verts started fast vrting,,banged it on the side till the vrting stopped,we twisted the 4 front panel controls until they no longer did anything to improve the pic,,when it went daid,,out in the alley & ma got another used set,we did have a wood chassis floor tv maybe a muntz for years,a repair guy was called to pull the set out from the wall,ran a couple tests,got 2 or 3 tubes from his van,,50 bucks,

• 5 months ago

I remember it vividly, We lived within walking distance of a Lafayette store, and later a Tandy Electronics (RadioShack) Store in the early 60's, so we could buy soldering supplies as well. We had a Motorola B & W for a few years back then. Good Times!

• 5 months ago

Yes I do I used to take tubes out of the TV all the time down to the drugstore and plug them in and get the replacement tubes.

• lare
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

yes, i did that. as the youngest child in my family, i was the designated electronics guru. it did not take me long to figure out from the diagnostics of the set behavior what tube was the culprit, so i rarely tested more than one or two at a time.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

That was a long time ago, same for car radios and house radios.

• 5 months ago

I did one better. I happened to be in a EE course before I switched to physics. So while I was in the EE course I was allowed and even encouraged to take the tube testing equipment from the EE lab home with me to test my TV. And that's what I did.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.