How can I start getting paid as a writer right now?

My only true love and passion is writing, being able to create new stories that will change people's life. I work at publix and my weekly checks are terrible which only comes out to around 150 dollars. I'm looking to apply somewhere else but I can't keep doing retails or labor work. There has to be a way for me to be able to quit my job and make a living as a writer. Even if I can't afford a house but at least a cheap apartment or a studio is all I need. My only weakness in writing is grammar since I was born in a french speaking country. Please I've been a writer since I was 10 years old and I'm burning with passion.

Hi, having passion is the best thing you can have, never give up your dream. It is totally possible to make a living from writing, you just have to have the determination and keep making it happen on a daily basis. Firstly, use your passion to write something amazing from the heart, that will resonate with readers. If you want to self-publish the best example I can give you is S K Sheridan who wrote the Davina Dupree series. She wrote a book from the heart for her daughter, because her daughter had run out of books to read. She wanted to write one that her daughter loved and couldn't put down. When this happened with The Top Secret Diary of Davina Dupree (S K Sheridan's daughter refused to go to sleep that night so she could keep reading it), she self-published it on Amazon's Createspace, now KDP. She went on forums, discussed the book, used free press release sites, asked bloggers to review it, and worked hard at promoting it. Unbelievably the sales took off and increased month by month. She has now earned over £50000 dollars through the Davina series, and her books frequently appear in bestseller ranks and have sold thousands. You can do it if you put your passion into it.

First, you have to become a good writer.

Part of being passionate about something is being dedicated enough, diligent enough and determined enough to research it on your own. If you don't have the passion required to summon the dedication, diligence, and determination required to make your dream a reality, then you're obviously not anywhere near as passionate as you'd like to think you are.

Being passionate about something doesn't mean that you're qualified to actually do it. There are plenty of people who are passionate about music, sports, writing, all sorts of different things, who just don't have the level of talent required to stand out in any of those fields. 99.999% of the writers in this world don't make enough to live off of selling their writing. Possibly 1% of 1% of the writers on this planet achieve some degree of wealth or fame, and the percentage that achieves some type of meaningful acclaim is even smaller.

Writing isn't about changing lives. Footballers and pop stars don't change lives either. That's just a silly myth that amateur writers like to believe because it's easy to be idealistic when you're wholly ignorant of the way things work. Writing for profit is about producing something that sells enough to make money for everybody involved - authors and agents and publishers and vendors alike. If an author doesn't have an agent or a publisher, then he or she will have to assume those roles. There are simply way too many variations on the writing process and the publishing process and the marketing process for anyone to outline each of them for you here. If you really and truly want to write and you want to earn a livable wage from doing it, you'll have to commit the time and effort and energy to figuring out your own path to putting yourself into a position where you might make that happen.

A couple of other things that you might not be aware of: Writing is a job. Just like anything else that people do for money, it's work. It's not carrying pianos up and down 6 flights of stairs, it's not breaking rocks, it can't be compared to doing manual labour or working in retail, but it's still work. And if you choose to be a writer, it will be a job and you'll have tasks that you'll need to complete and benchmarks that you'll need to hit just like everybody else does.

Lastly, it makes very little sense to attempt to peddle your writing in a foreign language. English is not your mother tongue. Why would you present yourself with the obstacle of attempting to flog your writing when it's not going to be up to the standards of native speakers? My favourite author of all time wrote in French, but my French is awful. Why would I attempt to compose in French? There are already millions of writers who write in French, they're fluent, they can wield the language in a way that I would not be capable of doing, probably forever, but definitely for the next few years at least. Why not write in French? If your writing is any good, it will find a market with readers who are fluent in French, and if it's deemed worthy of translation, it will be made available to speakers of other languages.

Music and sports are universal. Anyone who aspires to football or rock music doesn't need to worry about language, but if you want to write, it's incredibly important. Nobody is going to pay you for snippets of writing that sound as though they were cobbled together by someone with a tenuous grasp of English.

- Research different options including many different types of writing, you may have to begin by doing something that doesn't particularly interest you such as advertising or copy-writing, etc.

- Work towards accruing whatever requirements most paid writers possess, a degree, some experience, references, writing samples, etc.

- Accept the fact that life doesn't fall into line because you happen to have a dream, you won't be getting paid "right now" as you aren't capable of producing anything worth paying for at this time.

- Come to terms with the fact that the realisation of your dream is going to be a process, not something that will happen at the flick of a switch. Patience is a virtue in all forms of writing, work to develop some, along with the dedication, diligence and determination that I mentioned at the very start.

• Andrew

Don't copy and paste my answers, you knobend.

Whatever books do you write

Take a Technical Writing Course. Learn to write business documentation and letters, even computer manuals. The person I know, who did that, landed a job two weeks after graduation. You can write for children on weekends.

• P

I dont know! I have wanted to be a writer for over 20 years now but all my efforts end up in the bin!

Realistically speaking, that won't happen. I know several published writers with multiple novels under their belts. None of them can live off of their writing alone. They all have day jobs. One, who writes sci fi and tie-in novels, and publishes 4-6 novels per year, lived off of his writing for less than two years before he had a contract fall through, followed by a publisher changing their mind, which led to him having to take a part time job to pay the bills. Most writers can't support themselves without an additional income stream.

• John

>Even if I can't afford a house but at least a cheap apartment or a studio is all I need.

Nope.

• John

Not just snipers but clueless snipers. Funny, that.

Go to the library, in the reference section is a book called Writers Market 2019. Look through the magazine section - it lists who to contact, what the magazines are looking for from a writer, and how to submit manuscripts/work to them.

just try to see if places will publish what you write