what to do if employer will not correct my w2..?

i put exempt on my w4 and now on my w2 box one is empty .. the irs is holding my refund and told me i had to get them to send in a corrected w2 to them.. she telling me im wrong and that my w2 is right and she is not fixing it... what should i do from here?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You tried to commit tax fraud by claiming exempt

Box 1 being blank means you had no income so I assume its box 2 which is the amount of income tax withheld, if it is box 2 then that is correct based on information you provided

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

First of all, the W-4 does not even get sent to the IRS. That is between you and your employer.

Exempt on a W-4 means no income taxes are withheld, but refunds are still possible.

A W-2 box 1 is the income. It is NEVER blank. That means you had no income.

All jumbled information in this.

Per comment - I did confirm that an employer can contract out benefits as "Third Party Sick Pay" and that is not taxable. I was only aware of sick pay paid by employers directly.

If in the year no work was done and ONLY third party benefits, that W-2 can get box-1 blank and no taxes should be withheld.

• NA
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

There *is* such a think a non-taxable sick pay, CODE J in box 12.

• 6 months ago

Box 1 being empty has nothing to do with you being exempt. That is just an error on their part. BOX TWO is what should be nothing, as you had no income tax withheld.

Are you sure you mean Box 1 (Wages, tips, other compensation) and not Box 2 (federal income tax withheld).

• NA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

How, pray tell, did you file?

The only legal way would have been by mail, attaching a form 4852 along with your pay stubs proving you had income (also bank records showing you deposited the paychecks). Then a unit at the IRS campus reviews everything.

If you efiled by making up the w-2--no matter how well you guessed--you created a mess. The computer can't find the matching w-2. Understandably, the IRS is saying the w-2 needs to be fixed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It sounds like your W-2 is correct. How does your year end pay statement compare to it?

• Never
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Does the IRS want it to say zero and your employer left it empty ? Should be an easy to correct.

How can you be owed a refund if no taxes were withheld?

• ashley6 months agoReport

no the irs wants my wages in box 1 .. and they want them to fix it .. child credit thats how

• Amy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Accept that you ARE wrong and your w2 IS right.

You put exempt on your w4. That means you didn't pay any tax. There is nothing to refund.

• Beverly S
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Box 1 should have INCOME in it.. not the amount of taxes corrected. Her employer is wrong.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Box 1 is empty, or box 2? If you put exempt on your W-4, they do not take out any federal income tax, so box TWO should be empty. Box ONE should have the money you made. If it's box ONE that's empty, show your W-2 to whoever does your payroll. They are probably thinking you're talking about box 2.

• Never
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

If both are empty, it does not have your income for the year and it should. She should have that. and it should be on your last paystub.

Can you go over whoever is telling you no's head?

• Susie
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Contact your state Department of Labor.

• ashley6 months agoReport

ok thank you ill call them in the morning..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.