Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 6 months ago

Are presidential candidates in debates allowed to go off topic?

Update:

like I thought they've given 30 seconds and they can use that time however they want...

Update 2:

but true story: when I was running for student council in a public university --- at the debate they cut me short for going into another topic that wasn't part of the question --- I'm like, how come this isn't like the way they do it on tv?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeff D
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Sure. Most politicians use debates to just re-iterate their talking points, which often don't address the question asked. No one yet has ever discovered a way to force politicians to stay on topic or answer a question posed to them if they don't want to answer it.

At best, the moderator can try to shame them into answering it ('you're dodging the question, Senator' or 'yes or no, Mr. President'), but even then the politician doesn't have to answer or will sometimes claim they did answer.

• martin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They have only a limited time to answer each question and could go off topic, but if they do, they would waste precious time and make a bad impression too.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Sure

They can respond any way they want

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No. If they are republicans, they will answer a question not asked.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Not really. That's what the moderator is for. But it really depends on how good the moderator is at their job.

• 6 months ago

generally if they outright do not answer the question the moderator will let them know what they didn't and could even ask the question to them again

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

If they're Democrats, yes.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.